× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reducing gaming lag caused by wifi

Signori
Aspirant

Reducing gaming lag caused by wifi

Hi all, 

I have a BT Smart Hub plugged into the S8000 and then Xbox, PC and PS4 connected off that. My flat mate likes to watch netflix and youtube on this laptop (wifi) and PS4 (wired) When ever hes watching anything it causes me to lag on my xbox.

Is there anything i can do to help the xbox get more priority, particularly over this laptop on wifi? I've tried setting the priority on the switch to High for Xbox and low for everything else and that makes no difference

And also if the Xbox and PS4 are both on for the Xbox to get priority? Again i've tried setting the ports to High and Low and it doesnt help.

EDIT: Just to add my internet is decent 60-70MB download and 20 ish Upload

Any help would be great thanks

Model: S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 7
Signori
Aspirant

Re: Reducing gaming lag caused by wifi

Bump

Message 2 of 7
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Check your BT Smart Hub QoS settings if supported.  

Message 3 of 7
Signori
Aspirant

It doesnt have any Qos settings 

Message 4 of 7
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Another option, install a 3rd party application like Network Bandwidth Monitoring Tool or purchase another router that support QoS. S8000 support QoS in LAN side of the switch port only.   

Message 5 of 7
Signori
Aspirant

Thanks for the options. Think i'll look at a different router to sort the problem, sounds like the most straight forward way to deal with it 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Signori wrote:

Is there anything i can do to help the xbox get more priority, particularly over this laptop on wifi?

The WiFi data streams are not flowing over the switch.

Worth a try would be to install a wireless access point and wire it to the switch, and disable the WiFi on the BT box.

@Signori wrote:

Is there anything i can do to help the xbox get more priority, particularly over this laptop on wifi?

I've tried setting the priority on the switch to High for Xbox and low for everything else and that makes no difference.

That's all you can we can do on the switch.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7