× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SX10 / S3300 Stacking Supported?

kc6108
Luminary

SX10 / S3300 Stacking Supported?

All of the ports on our GS728TX/S3300 are full. Our router is an R9000, and it's attached to the switch via a DAC cable (SFP+ to SFP+). All of the R9000 ports are full too.

We have a GS724Tv4 stored away that can be used, but I don't believe it supports stacking with the S3300.

This is a gaming network, so I'm looking for optimal settings and equipment. Open NAT, reducing ping and latency, etc are essential.

Which is better... adding the GS724Tv4 or an SX10 (or more)? How exactly should the additional hardware be attached? What settings would be optimal?

I don't have much time as our next gaming match is soon.

Thanks

Model: SX10| Pro Gaming Multi-Gig Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: SX10 / S3300 Stacking Supported?

@kc6108 wrote:

All of the ports on our GS728TX/S3300 are full. Our router is an R9000, and it's attached to the switch via a DAC cable (SFP+ to SFP+). All of the R9000 ports are full too.

There are four dedicated 10 GbE interfaces - two SFP+ and two 10GBase-T - on this switch. Beyond of the SFP+ link to the R9000, these would be feasible to link up a faster switch.

@kc6108 wrote:

We have a GS724Tv4 stored away that can be used, but I don't believe it supports stacking with the S3300.

Stacking is a different beast adding a single management environment over multiple switches. You can always link up multiple switches as long as the number of hops permitted on an Ethernet infrastrucure remains feasible - with this small number of switches you don't have to worry. However, this GS724Tv4 has only 1G ports - this might be the limiting factor.

@kc6108 wrote:

This is a gaming network, so I'm looking for optimal settings and equipment. Open NAT, reducing ping and latency, etc are essential.

As we talk of a pure L2 network, NAT and so on is not affected.

@kc6108 wrote:

Which is better... adding the GS724Tv4 or an SX10 (or more)? How exactly should the additional hardware be attached? What settings would be optimal?

Depends on the bandwidth you like to achieve between the additional switch and the network, and the number of ports you need. The SX10 is a nice choice as it's fanless and it can be deployed easily with e.g. a 10 GbE uplink and some GbE devices.plus one more 10 GbE device.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7