× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up Switch

NYYankeesFan
Aspirant

Setting up Switch

My question is this:

I have a DSL router/modem from Verizon D-Link 2750B. This product has 4 10/100 ports. If I connect the router/modem to the switch by using one of the 10/100 ports and my PC, Laptop and a Linksys E1500 (which also has 4 10/100 ports) to the switch, what benefits will I see and/or gain?

Verizon does not offer a DSL router/modem with Gigabit ports. Does any ISP offer a router/modem or a modem with Gigabit prots?

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Setting up Switch

ISPs are often stuck with older spec CPEs - especially when it comes to ADSL up to ADSL2+ links, which don't offer any faster performance anyway.

If you need faster in-house connection between your computers, storage, whatever, you can connect the switch to one of the 100 Mb/s (Fast Ethernet, FE) ports for accessing the Internet while using the other LAN ports on the switch with GbE performance. For slower devices like IoT you can continue using the router FE ports. 

Not sure for what purpose you have added that other Linksys E1500 - as yet another router, or as a wireless access point only. The router approach does create a second isolated LAN, and with the pure access point (similar to the D-Link 2750B) you won't win a horse with their very aged N300 standards wireless. Ok, for the pure Internet bandwidth it might fit, but not for local usage requiring more bandwidth.

The Verizon D-Link 2750B was under attack by various malware over the decade, it's an EoL product, uncertain if Verizon does still get and provide security updates.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

ISPs are often stuck with older spec CPEs - especially when it comes to ADSL up to ADSL2+ links, which don't offer any faster performance anyway.

If you need faster in-house connection between your computers, storage, whatever, you can connect the switch to one of the 100 Mb/s (Fast Ethernet, FE) ports for accessing the Internet while using the other LAN ports on the switch with GbE performance. For slower devices like IoT you can continue using the router FE ports. 

Not sure for what purpose you have added that other Linksys E1500 - as yet another router, or as a wireless access point only. The router approach does create a second isolated LAN, and with the pure access point (similar to the D-Link 2750B) you won't win a horse with their very aged N300 standards wireless. Ok, for the pure Internet bandwidth it might fit, but not for local usage requiring more bandwidth.

The Verizon D-Link 2750B was under attack by various malware over the decade, it's an EoL product, uncertain if Verizon does still get and provide security updates.

Message 2 of 4
NYYankeesFan
Aspirant

Schumaku,

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful.

I wasn't aware that the D-Link 2750B was end of life. Which makes me wonder why Verizon, with all of its resources, doesn't offer better DSL equipment. I do hope that in areas where they have rolled out Fios, that the equipment is of a more recent caliber, especially for the price they charge.

The question is, is there a modem/or router/modem that I can purchase, that will work with/or be recognized by Verizon, with Gigabit Ethernet connections?

The reason I have the E1500 connected to the D-Link 2750B is that I bought a Nook and had difficulty connecting it to the D-Link.

Verizon siad it should work and told me that my wireless was properly set up and was working correctly.

When I connectec the E1500 to the D-Link 2750B, the Nook connected to the wireless after putting its ID in the appropriate location.

If I could have done the same with the D-link, why didn't Verizon mention it? I do not know.

One question I have is this: the cable company in my area is Spectrum. I loathe Spectrum cable TV. If I were so inclined to sign up for their cable Internet, do they have a cable router/modem or modem that will deliver Gigabit Ethernet?

NYYankeesFan

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Can't help youth your local ISPs - writing from Switzerland. I would expect both the xDSL providers (dont know how common VDSL2 and G.fast is over there) and definitively the CableTV ISP (offering speed in the Multi-Gigabit range!) would offer routers with GbE LAN ports, the Cable TV modem come wth two LAN ports allowing port aggregation for the higher subscriptions for sure. Routers supporting these have either the ability for LAN link aggregation, or sometimes an MultiGig (2.5/5) or 10G port. Hope this might help for decoding the ISP offerings, or somebody else can pick up.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7