× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup multiple nighthawk s8000 switches?

profdraper
Follower

Setup multiple nighthawk s8000 switches?

I've been using a Nighthawk s8000 GS808E for some time now & am happy with its performance and software control. My question is:

Is it possible to configure multiple s8000s as one 'giant switch' & with one software interface? Or, does each switch need to be managed individually with its own browser IP? -  here I am assuming it is indeed possible to run multiple S8000s on the same network without undesirable side-effects.

Seeing as I have not ben able to find any reference to this whatsoever, I would think not - perhaps this remains the domain of managed switches. Thanks in advance for any insights you may have & if indeed any others are running more than one of these switches.

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Setup multiple nighthawk s8000 switches?

@profdraper wrote:

Is it possible to configure multiple s8000s as one 'giant switch' & with one software interface?

No, because these are neither stackable nor cloud managed switches.

@profdraper wrote:

Or, does each switch need to be managed individually with its own browser IP?

Each switch has to be managed individually.

Ref. one 'giant switch' idea: No matter if switches are stacked, daisy chained, in a spoke and hub config, or in a ring (the last one is not possible on this switch class lack of at least STP or RSTP) - the limiting point are always the links between the switches. To connect multiple GbE switches for example multiple SX10 (GS810EMX) would be better suited because the 10G ports can be used for the interconnections - offering ten times the bandwidth of a GbE link. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7