× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Some Enquiry Regarding the VLAN packet go in and go out.

KivenKong
Aspirant

Some Enquiry Regarding the VLAN packet go in and go out.

Hi, I'm new to VLAN and wish to justify my though about the packet go in and go out theory. 

I have setup my sample VLAN network for testing and verify the VLAN is able to work. (Configuration Attached in VLAN_EachPort Setup.jpg)

Model: GS308T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch
Message 1 of 5
KivenKong
Aspirant

For Add on. This is my question. Could someone verify my statement written in bold is correct? I have attach the setup under the attachment too. 

For each of the port, I have set all port is able to accept untagged and tagged frame packet by admit all, either the packet come in has tagged or untagged, it still able enter the port.

If I set the port as untagged, only packet without VLAN tagging able enter the port, tagged packet will drop before entering the port. Packet go out will be untagged too.

If I have set the particular port as Tagged, only the packet with VLAN tagging able enter to the particular port. Prior packet go out, it will become tagged..

Thank you!!!

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

I would stay far away from any kind of non-standard asymmetrical VLAN configurations. Here what good friend wrote in the community recently:

"NETGEAR complies with 802.1Q standard and doesn't endorse / support proprietary asymmetrical VLANs with more than one untagged VLAN per interface."

Message 3 of 5
KivenKong
Aspirant

Hi. Thank you for your reply..
In fact I just want to known whether my statement is correct... Hope you can share what you thought to me..

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@KivenKong wrote:

If I set the port as untagged, only packet without VLAN tagging able enter the port, tagged packet will drop before entering the port.

Packet go out will be untagged too.

No, this depends on the Acceptable Frame Type setting.

Any frames on the VLAN  configured untagged will come out untagged.

@KivenKong wrote:

If I have set the particular port as Tagged, only the packet with VLAN tagging able enter to the particular port.

Prior packet go out, it will become tagged..

No, this depends on the Acceptable Frame Type setting.

Yes.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7