× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch not showing on network

Switch not showing on network

So i've recently moved house and had Sky Q installed. Bought the nighthawk switch as my router is by the front door and only has 2 ethernet ports! I've got an ethernet cable running in to the living room and connected the switch to it. I've then got a NAS drive, Xbox one, TV, and cinema system connected to the Nighthawk. 

Set it up as per the instructions but the switch just isn't showing on my network devices. It's also not showing up when i login to the Sky Q hub. The ethernet port lights are flashing on both the Sky router and the Nighthawk....lights are on but no one's home!!

Anyone have any ideas to get it working??

Model: S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Problem solved...it was all down to the router ethernet setting to gigabit but the cable installed only being able to support fast ethernet. 

changed the setting on the router and hey presto....problem solved!!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

While a little bit strange the switch does not show up on your router (as one would assume it's grabbing a network config from the router DHCP server), and permitting the switch is installed on the LAN side of your router (not somewhere between the ISP network and the router), start about here -> My GS808E Nighthawk Switch is running firmware version 1.0.1.2 and I can’t access the switch managem...

Message 2 of 5

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I've tried to follow those instructions, however:

• with the laptop plugged directly into the switch, i can detect all connected devices (TV, NAS drive etc) through 'my computer' on the laptop. The Nighthawk itself still does not show up as infrastructure. 
  • I turn the wifi off and it drops the router and wifi connected devices, still showing hardware connected to the switch, which the laptop is still plugged in to. 
  • I run an IP scanner, the switch nor any hardware connected to it is detected, only wifi connected deviced to the router. 
  • Disconnect the laptop for the switch (unplug the LAN cable) and all hardware connected to the switch disappears from 'my computer'.
  • The Nighthawk has never shown up as network infrastructure and doesn't look like it's being assigned an IP address!?

Any ideas??

Message 3 of 5

Ok, further developments:

• i've plugged the Nighthawk to the router via a different port with a different LAN cable, this time i was able to detect the Nighthawk! 
  • i've assigned it a static IP address and updated the firmware to the latest release.
  • Unplugged the switch and moved back to its original location in another room. 
  • Connected it up via the existing LAN cable and once again....nothing!!
  • This makes me think it's a cable issue, so i plug my laptop in the the LAN and it works fine. I can get on line no problem.
  • All i can think is the cable just isn't up to spec for the Nighthawk; could this be the case??
  • If so, can i reduce the speed on the router from gigabit to 10/100 and hope that will work??
Message 4 of 5

Problem solved...it was all down to the router ethernet setting to gigabit but the cable installed only being able to support fast ethernet. 

changed the setting on the router and hey presto....problem solved!!!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7