× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch s8000

tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

Switch s8000

hello,

i whant a aggregation; router X10 R9000 and the Switch S8000.

i have seen the video how to do. 

on the router i get active on the switch i see nothing only the leds on port 3 and 4.

firmware on switch: V 1.7.0.6

installation on the switch lag 1, port 3 and 4.

what i do wrong ?? 

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

It's a static LAG config only - what do you expect to see?

Message 2 of 6
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

hello,

thanks for thr replay,

i only whant to see a notification active.

i think it's a gui error. I am not sure. Because the notification active on router is ok.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The point is that a static LAG has no additional layer (or kind of an interface) on top of the pure network interface links - thats why switches do not show a status for the static LAG.

In fact, the R9000 (like all Netgear routers with static link aggregation support!) are providing a wrong proof. All these routers implement the LAG based on the Linux bonding driver. Initially, there was only dynamic LAG based on 802.3ad with LACP available. Here we have an additional negotiated layer between the LAG end points - that's why the routers have this status indication. When it comes to the static LAG, the indicator does only reflect that both links of the LAG are up - not that there is a properly configured LAG. Simple test? Unplug one of the router aggregation ports (while connected to the router using WiFi or another local LAN port of course), then connect any other Ethernet device (don't use the same computer!) to that LAN port - and you find the router showing "active" on the aggregation...

Gelukkig nieuwjaar!

Message 4 of 6
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

thanks for the answer,

you're right. it also gives an active on the router.

i understand that with aggregation max 2 times 1Gb is. i believe so too.

i still do understand why on the switch i do not get active. This is what Netgear say in the movie on the site.

maybe i make it to big and  staring blindly at the video that Netgear make. Sorry

ook beste wensen voor 2020

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@tamme_tekkel wrote:

i understand that with aggregation max 2 times 1Gb is. i believe so too.

With two links in a static LAG, each LAG can only reach 1 Gb/s for each MAC-MAC address pair, in total 2 Gb/s - that's the way it is.

@tamme_tekkel wrote:

i still do understand why on the switch i do not get active. This is what Netgear say in the movie on the site.

maybe i make it to big and  staring blindly at the video that Netgear make.

As I tried to proof with the test demonstration: There is no way to provide a reliable "LAG active" information on a static LAG, in fact on both ends (any switch, and the router). To my knowledge, no business class swiches with static LAG support have any indication on static LAG beyond of the pure link indication.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7