× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch to multiple routers

cLashy
Tutor

Switch to multiple routers

Hi all,

We just moved house and are having disputes on where the router should go in the house.

The NBN modem sits in the garage and is in front of 5 ethernet ports that are spread throughout the upstairs and downstairs. 

We have one central router right now (XR500) and that sits upstairs through the NBN modem to the upstairs ethernet port. Works fine, happy days.

The people downstairs arent happy at all. 

So, we bought a switch thinking we could piggy back the connection from the NBN modem to the switch and then from the downstairs ethernet port straight to the PC. Clearly, that doesn't work...

I assume you need ANOTHER router to communicate and assign an IP. 

Will the picture I drew work for both upstairs and downstairs?  NBN modem to switch, switch to upstairs and downstairs ethernet wall sockets, wall sockets to respected routers. (See picture)

Thanks in advance, sorry if I missed details. Happy to add any information I can.

Cheers

TLDR: See picture, does it work?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Switch to multiple routers

NBN basically just means Australian internet. there's dsl version, fibre, coax versions. 

If that's your model, it probably is a strict modem (model number offf it helps through). 

Reason it doesn't let you go modem----switch------router is that your isp only gives you 1 public ip address. And then the router needs to assign private ip addresses to devices. 

You should be abel to setup as: 

NBN modem------Router 1 (router mode)-------switch/switches to ethernet ports/devices

Then those ethernet ports can support other pc's,routers (in access point mode), or whatever devices you want to connect to them. 

You don't NEED another router but some add them and run them in access point mode for better coverage. Or they use a mesh system and hardwired them in for better coverage. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the question comes down to what is that nbn modem?

If its a modem/router combo device, we can probably get something figured out to work by setting the NBN device is router mode and the router in access point mode. Then you could run the setup like you have it. 

If its a strict modem device, then you need to go modem-----router------switch

Message 2 of 5
cLashy
Tutor

Sorry, I forgot I wasnt on an Australian specific board. NBN is the broadband network supplied to all Australians now. 

They send us out a modem when we setup with an ISP. (See picture)

It only has 1 port on the back and 1 coax. 

My guess is that it is a strict modem device as you mentioned. 

So would it be safe to say that I would need;

NBN Modem (main internet connection) ---- Router no.1 ---- switch ----- ethernet ports in garage ----- ethernet port in downstars living room ----- ethernet cable to PC. (OR does there need to be another router in between the wall ports to PC?)

The main issue is getting that ethernet wall port working downstairs. 

Upstairs has its own router and everyone is on wireless on it.

Basically as long as we can have 1 wired router for downstairs and 1 wirelss router for upstairs. I am just pulling hairs trying to figure out the setup 😞

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

NBN basically just means Australian internet. there's dsl version, fibre, coax versions. 

If that's your model, it probably is a strict modem (model number offf it helps through). 

Reason it doesn't let you go modem----switch------router is that your isp only gives you 1 public ip address. And then the router needs to assign private ip addresses to devices. 

You should be abel to setup as: 

NBN modem------Router 1 (router mode)-------switch/switches to ethernet ports/devices

Then those ethernet ports can support other pc's,routers (in access point mode), or whatever devices you want to connect to them. 

You don't NEED another router but some add them and run them in access point mode for better coverage. Or they use a mesh system and hardwired them in for better coverage. 

Message 4 of 5
cLashy
Tutor

Ahh that makes perfect sense.

I completely forgot about the public IP and private IP part of all this and why it wouldnt work the way I thought it would (the simpleton way).

Thanks for breaking this down!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7