× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX) Switch using any suggestions from KB.

Nichols
Aspirant

Unable to access Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX) Switch using any suggestions from KB.

Can someone please help me with this?

I am attempting to update the firmware on my 10 port Nighthawk SX10 switch but I am unable to access the switch using either the IP Address, Discovering the IP Address of the Switch in my Network section on my computer or using the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT listed in subject) which is the primary suggestion via the Knowledge Base. I know the switch is working as I am able to connect via the internet and my sons Xbox's are connected through it as well but it does not appear at all using any of the connection methods as listed in the documentation for the switch.

If someone has an idea that I haven't tried please let me know.

Model: GS810EMX|10 Port Nighthawk 10-Multigigabit Uplinks Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Unable to access Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX) Switch using any suggestions from KB.

NDST does not discover and show an IP address at all?

Message 2 of 7
Nichols
Aspirant

Re: Unable to access Nighthawk SX10 (GS810EMX) Switch using any suggestions from KB.

It does not show anything at all.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

If you have some spare time, disconnect the switch and a computer from the network.

Connect a network cable from the computer direct to the switch - without any other network connection.

Reboot both computer and switch.

Temporarily configure the computer LAN IP address to the 192.168.0.0/24 network, e.g. 192.168.0.123 255.255.255.0 - disable "check the network config".

Ue a web browser and open http://192.168.0.239/ - this is the switch default IP address.

In case this does not work, reset the switch to the defaults (using the button, check the manual for details).

Message 4 of 7
P111
Luminary

Mine does the same. What happens is that it is asigned an IP address by the router but now and then it loses it. What you need to do is go underneath the switch with a paperclip and press it through the tiny hole to reset the switch ( you can feel the switch activate ). This forces it to get the IP addrees again and everything should be fine.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@P111 wrote:

What happens is that it is asigned an IP address by the router but now and then it loses it.

This would indicate that the switch does either restart, and fails to achieve a valid config by DHCP from the router for a certain time, or the DHCP refresh does fail after some time. Under these conditions, it will fall-back ot the default IP.

@P111 wrote:

What you need to do is go underneath the switch with a paperclip and press it through the tiny hole to reset the switch ( you can feel the switch activate ). This forces it to get the IP addrees again and everything should be fine.

Can't see on why a factory reset should be required: A simple cold reboot would do the same job - power cut and replug.

If one want to avoid this special situation, put up a fixed IP address on the switch LAN IP config - it won't depend on the router DHCP then anymore, the IP will be always the same.

In case there are multiple VLAN are configured and connected, another special behaviour of the Smart Managed Plus style switches (true for the gaming switches, too - same GSxxxE-type) are configured - if there are DHCP servers on multiple VLANs, it can pic an address from any other VLAN - these switches can't be restricted to one management VLAN only.

Message 6 of 7
P111
Luminary

Personally I found the power reset didn't work, but by all means try it!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7