× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Nighthawk S8000 Auto speed seems to only go to 100M

aaskin12
Aspirant

Wired Nighthawk S8000 Auto speed seems to only go to 100M

My Setup:

Xfinity 1GB Down/35MB up > Arris 8200 > Orbi RB20 (with two Satallites) > Nighthawk S8000

Forgive me as I am relativily new to this networking setup thing.  I recently upgraded to 1GB speed and tried to upgrade my whole system as I build out my smart home.  When I plug in diretly from my Orbi router, I get great speed north of 700MB down.  When I put the S8000 into the network and plug in to it the speed seems to cap out at 100MB.  I have tried changing every visable setting that I can see and I know the speed is being pushed through as it starts high and then trails back and trottles to 100MB even on Auto Speed.

I am not sure what else I can change as I have switched around every setting on the nighthawk S8000 and nothing has helped.  What can I do to get the full speed out of my switch and have it match the speed I can get directly from my Orbi router?

Thanks for your help and I am happy to provide any information you may need to help solve.

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can check.

You cables. These have been bad before. 

How are you testing your speeds?

You put that it starts high (how high?) and gradually decreases down to the 100mbps.  Are you using Qos on the S8000 or the Orbi?

If you've recently done this, Netgear has 90 days of free support. All you have to do is go to the top, mynetgear, register an account and then the device. From there you can get in contact for assistance getting it functioning. There's also the guided assistance on your support page, have you tried that?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS808E

Message 2 of 4
aaskin12
Aspirant

I did just buy it 2 days ago.  I don't think it is the cables as when I use the same cables and just move them directly to the router I get the full speed.  It is when I connect through the switch that it seems to max out at about 100MB.

I will have to check on the Qos settings to see if it is applied on both Orbi and S8000.

I am testing my speeds through multiple speed test sites and apps.  Speedtest.net, https://turnkeyinternet.net › speed-test to name a few.

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 3 of 4
Johnny1914
Guide

My understanding the router will always override the switch in regards to QoS. Might as well turn off QoS on the switch. Check in the web interface for the switch that your ports are set at auto for speed and not capped at 100m. Also check what preset is it at? Gaming? Streaming or default where it gives all ports priority.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7