× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

devises are still going on my internet with no password. even though I changed my internet password

Johnarlohopkins
Follower

devises are still going on my internet with no password. even though I changed my internet password

Hello. I use a netgear modem ( it sure what type) the router is a nighthawk. But that’s not important.

I changed my network password, the whole 9 yards, changed passwords, changed the name of the network to try and get a “clean internet” took 2 days to do. But my College Laptop, as well as my PlayStation 4 are still Able to go online. They acted like nothing changed, no “unable to access the internet” no “please enter the password” just instant access. Now I believe their MAC address ARE STILL ON my router settings but to not ask for the pass word? Why is this? I do only use the inter via Cabel and not WiFi. Please explain if possible.
Thank you.
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: devises are still going on my internet with no password. even though I changed my internet passw

There is no password prompt or the like to access the Internet from devices connected to a router, including a Nighthawk router. There is also nothing like an "Internet password". Only certain connections (like the wireless) need some password/passphrase, some ISP require an authentication with a password to bring up the Internet from the router (some DSL providers, very few cable TV providers). However, these are typically stored on the router and on the wireless clients. On consumer class cabled (Ethernet) networking there is no authentication process required before a switch port is accessible or can gain access to a certain network scope.

If the idea is being able to disable the network access (just Internet yes/no isn't an option on most Netgear routers) you can use Advanced -> Security -> Access Control  and enable the access control feature, and block devices there. Similar functionality is available in the Genie App or the Nighthawk App (or Orbi App) under Connected Devices depending what is supported for your router.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7