× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

link speeds locked to 100mbps regardless of switch settings

link speeds locked to 100mbps regardless of switch settings

I have Gig internet from Midco in Minnesota,

I have a Hitron Cable Modem from Midco, connected to that modem I have the Nighthawk GS810EMX (Switch #1) connected by a monoprice Cat 7 cable to port 1 (10gig port), Connected to port 2 (10gig port) Is a Monoprice Cat 8 cable going to my Primary Computer (PC #1).

Up to this point all link speeds are as expected and on My Primary PC I get 700-900 mbps averages on both fast.com and speedtest.net

now this is where the trouble starts

port 10 on the GS810EMX is connected to a nighthawk S8000 switch (Switch #2) with another monoprice Cat 8 cable to the default uplink port 8 of the s8000, at this point the rest of the ports on this S8000 seem to only produce 100mbps speeds even though the switch settings show 1000mFull.

So next in the chain is a second S8000 (Switch #3) connected to switch #2 with a mono price Cat 7 cable on the other side of the house, this switch also has another Computer (PC #2) connected to it by a mono price Cat 7 cable, testing fast.com/speedtest.net and file transfers between PC #1 and PC #2 still seem to be capped at 100mbps.

I updated the GS810EMX to 1.7.0.8 and both S8000s to 1.7.0.7 and reset all three switches to defaults several times or tried manually setting link speeds and port priorities myself but never any faster than 100mbps.

before buying the nighthawk hardware my LAN consisted of the same physical layout with 3 netgear GS608 v3 unmanaged switches and I had no problems at all, I even put the GS608s back in the Lan and it went right back to normal.

What have I done wrong?

Model: GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: link speeds locked to 100mbps regardless of switch settings

If the switches indicate GbE (in the Web UI _and_ as well as per the LED indication) it's unlikley a link speed resp. cabling issue.

Worth a try is using alternate ports, e.g. plaing GbE ports instead of the two 10G/MultiGig ports #1 abd #2 on the SX10 (GS810EMX).

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7