× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: router xr500 with switch s8000

prince-horus
Tutor

router xr500 with switch s8000

Hello everyone, please can you tell me how you connected your switch behind the xr500 and especially on which QOS you are running. Let me explain, the xr500 manages the qos so the s8000 is it on port based or on 802.1p / dscp and if it is on port based, have you set gaming preset or all ports are equal, thank you very much

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
P111
Luminary

Depends what problem you are trying to solve. I connected my S8000 in as the center of my local network. Everything local is plugged in to the S8000, the router is connected on port 8, the uplink port.

Personally I use port based qos, which gives priority to individual PC's and devices. Port 1 has my gaming PC so that is the highest priority. The lowest priority is port 8 which has my NAS on it. Other PC's are plugged in to the remaining ports. This ensures that no matter what happens the gaming PC's messages are processed quickly even if the NAS is flooding the local network.

The uplink port is actually the slowest becuase it is ultimately limited by the WAN speed which in my case is well below 1gbps, so the switch is not very effective trying to avoid saturation of the WAN. I set QOS in the router, to try to avoid that. There are still some badly behaved applications though that migh saturate the router,  such as torrents. Unfortunately torrents are a blight on the universe and the only real way to limit them is to limit them on the offending PC.

Message 2 of 3
prince-horus
Tutor

Thanks for answers but I speaked about this configuration... Ont-xr500-s8000 because I ve 10 devices wired... If I want to use the qos of xr500, how I put the qos of the s8000... Thanks
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7