× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear XR500 Power to lose

ColdQuamtum
Tutor

Netgear XR500 Power to lose

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling badly let down by this router.

I was using the Netduma R1 thought hey this Nighthawk XR500 looks like just the thing for me, I have had this for a couple of weeks now and it is a pain in the neck.

You cant ban dedicated servers, why. my ping times are all over the place I thought the hardware inside this very expensive home router was supposed to sort this crap out. The geo filter page on a laptop is just rubbish.

I have an open NAT, Speedtest gives me a ping of 7ms, but I cant find a connection less than 20, it then jumps to 25 - 30 - 45 - 60 yes spiking was that supposed to be as I said sorted by the hardware.

I am leaving games midway after being 7 and 18 or 25, just cant find any way of getting the settings I require, I on Virgin Media 75 meg connection down and about 5 meg up.

Does anyone have any serious helpful advice, I mean £250.00 for a piece of junk, good work if you can get it.

Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Cold,

Banning dedicated servers is something that has been requested and so we will be looking into implementing this. However it is very easy to prevent the servers that you do not want by moving your location/changing your radius size to ensure those servers are not within the radius.

7ms is your base ping so you should usually expect 10-20ms ping above your base ping when connecting to a game.

It sounds like you do not have the correct settings otherwise you would be having a much different experience.

Physical setup we recommend modem > XR500. If you have a modem/router put it in modem mode if possible. Otherwise put the XR500 in the DMZ and disable the WiFi on the modem/router. ALL devices should be connected to the XR500 otherwise it cannot control them all to eliminate local congestion/bufferbloat.

We then recommend you set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' and start with 70% for both download & upload sliders. If you're not having luck with that then experiment with the %'s while saturating your network and doing a ping test - we recommend PingPlotter for that.

Then give your console ~10-20% bandwidth depending on how many devices you have connected. For Traffic Prioritization ensure that DumaOS Classified Games is enabled so that it will prioritize your game whenever you play.
Message 2 of 11
ColdQuamtum
Tutor

I have my Virgin Superhub in modem mode, I did have DMZ turned on within the XR500.

I have now turned that off. I will let you know if this helps, thanks for your very prompt respone, much appreciated.

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're very welcome, if you follow my suggestions you should be sorted! Do let us know how you get on!
Message 4 of 11
ColdQuamtum
Tutor

So following your suggestions I still have major issues in game play cod ww2.

I have tried shifting home location within U.K, get the odd good game.

I am going to shift my home location to U.S.A see how that goes, if no joy it will be back to the R1 and ebay will have an xr500 for sale.

Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your ping now to CoD? I think your issues with the game is unrepresentative of the fact the router is doing it's job ensuring a low ping.

Forcing servers in the US is probably too far, I would suggest forcing games within Europe but excluding the UK.
Message 6 of 11
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ColdQuamtum,

I wanted to check in with you and see if your issue is fixed after following Netduma-Fraser's steps.

Please let us know. :]

- Jason N

Message 7 of 11
Hazbin
Aspirant

I am greatly disappointed by this router. My network and online gameplay has degraded so much that I have almost completely stopped playing COD. I could detail the issues but that would take all day. 10 hours of trying to get tech support only to be told that I have an OS issue and netgear doesn’t handle that, I have to contact netduma, and guess what netduma says, it’s a netgear product we can’t help you, call netgear. You see where this is going right? All the pretty graphics and cool looking features and I feel the country bumpkin that just bought himself a bridge in Brooklyn!

Message 8 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If its to do with everything other than Settings/Hardware then we would not have said that at all. Where did you contact us when you were told this so we can look into your issue.
Message 9 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like you have incorrect settings and have not asked for any support. If you let us know your settings/issues we can help.
Message 10 of 11
P111
Luminary

Well, I actually found my ping was worse using the XR500. Not by much, but you'd think that was kinda the point of a gaming router - a faster ping.  But having said that, the router can not solve problems outside your building. Sure it can limit range and so on but if there are issues with the connection to the server it can't sort those out. I mean I know some people who use Virgin and they certainly had issues in game. Their ping would be all over the place during peak hours. It was nothing to do with the router, rather it was Virgin overloading their local fibre. So I wouldn't maybe blame the Netgear here, rather I would question whether you are trying to fix a problem taht you thought was your router, when in fact it's down to your service provider to fix.  

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7