× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 modem router cable modem How to connect a land phone from the wall to the modem when there is

gcar325
Aspirant

AC1750 modem router cable modem How to connect a land phone from the wall to the modem when there is

Trying to figure out how to connect a land phone from the wall to the modem router when there is only 4 ethernet connection. It doesn't have the connection for a phone line.cable

Message 1 of 7
Twohills
Aspirant

Re: AC1750 modem router cable modem How to connect a land phone from the wall to the modem when ther

Are you looking to connect a standard analog land line to your modem/router? If your broadband comes in via telco copper wires you need a microfilter that gives an analog output for that analog phone. Only phones that the router might support would be SIP phones vbia a SIP service provider.

Message 2 of 7
gcar325
Aspirant

Re: AC1750 modem router cable modem How to connect a land phone from the wall to the modem when ther

Do you mean a converter with an analog end?
Message 3 of 7
Twohills
Aspirant

Does your broadband come in via a standard telephone company wall socket that would take a normal analog phone, and you have now connected your cable modem/router to that socket@ Your modem/router does not handle or process any analog signals so you have to use a splitter, known as a microfilter ( a small cheap passive adaptor). You plug the cable out of the microfilter into the wall socket and the filter has 2 sockets out. In one you would plug your cable from the modem and the other would take your analog phone. They have to be in their correct appropriately marked sockets. I hope i'm understanding what you're asking.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Attempting to take out some potential confusion.

Subject does say "AC1750 modem router cable modem...." so this is probably not a xDSL router (like a Netgear Dxxxx or DGxxx, not aware of an AC1750 WiFi variant anyway) where a two wire Internet connection (requiring a splitter) for a POTS phone can be plugged.

Guess you have something like the C6300 Cable Modem Router - there is no way to directly connect a POTS phone. If your ISP is providing IP telephony over the cable network, the typical way is using a Cable Modem Router with voice support (Netgear does have only the C7100V and it's Amazon sold sibling). Ask the cable company if they offer some VoIP adapters for connecting POTS phone(s) which can be configured and are supported by the cable company.

Message 5 of 7
Twohills
Aspirant

My bad. First day and first post on forum!! Didn't click it was cable modem, not xDSL. I googled the AC1750 and it appears to be a router so would connect to a local modem which I now assume to be a 'cable' modem. As Schumaku says you will not need the splitter since your modem connects to your ISP's wall socket which is purely a high speed data outlet. I'm confused then where the 'land phone' comes into play. Is it a newly acquired phone and is it the standard analog (POTS) phone that you are looking to use? in which case you would need to subscribe to a land line. The alternative would be to use a VoIP phone on your LAN and subscribe to an ITSP provided trunk. Hope I got it right this time

Message 6 of 7
Twohills
Aspirant

Also as Schumaku says, if you want to use your 'land phone' you could use an ata such as Grandstream HT801 which will allow a POTS phone to connect via an ITSP's VoIP profile (again, subscription required)

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7