Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

10 Gb/s Home Network Hardware Matching...

GoneDog
Aspirant

10 Gb/s Home Network Hardware Matching...

Hey there,

I'm unable to determine in product descriptions if one unit outperforms the others in the CM1000, CM1100, CM1150v, CM1200, CM2000, CM2050v line-up.... I see numbers ranging between 2.5Gb/s - 6Gb/s and simply, "True Multi-Gigabit Speeds**" with link aggregation. Search filters and comparison tabs are regrettably unhelpful.

I currently own an Asus AX11000 router. I'd prefer the 'Voice' modems, but, am unclear if I am sacrificing bandwidth or some other feature present in the models with fewer ports. I plan to pair with Outdoor Orbi AX3000 Satellites upon release.

My question is basically, "What's the fastest Nighthawk modem?" (Using Cat 😎

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: 10 Gb/s Home Network Hardware Matching...

@GoneDog wrote:

So, the CM1150v has a little bit more connectivity with four 1 Gigabit LAN ports but only 2 Gb/s upload speeds with link aggregation? I'm still confused about the 6Gb/s and 10Gb/s ad claims. Do I need a professional network switch to utilize full bandwidth?

The 4x ethernet ports just allow 2x of the ports to use link aggregation. Or if your isp supports multiple public ip addresses (most don't) then you can connect 4x devices to it. 

The 6-10gbps is just that, advertising. Its what the docsis 3.1 spec is cable of but the ethernet ports can't hit those speeds and the ISP's don't support those speeds. 

Before buying anything, I'd call your isp to see what they support for speeds. My area maxes out at 1gig. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

currently its the CM2000 and CM2050V. 

The cm2050v just has the option of voice. it doesn't have any lose of speed versus the cm2000. 

But that's also contingent on your ISP. If your isp only supports gigabit speed (and doesn't overprovision), then any of the others would hit the same speed. 

Message 2 of 8
GoneDog
Aspirant

So does the CM2050v include four 1Gb/s LAN ports, two Voice Lines, one Coaxial-In, and A/C power @ 6Gb/s via link aggregation? No model with 10Gb/s LAN speeds?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

No. The cm2050v has 1x 2.5gig port, a coax connection, and 2x phone lines. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cm2050v.aspx

I don't know of any current consumer modems that support more than a 2.5gig port. 

Message 4 of 8
GoneDog
Aspirant

So, the CM1150v has a little bit more connectivity with four 1 Gigabit LAN ports but only 2 Gb/s upload speeds with link aggregation? I'm still confused about the 6Gb/s and 10Gb/s ad claims. Do I need a professional network switch to utilize full bandwidth?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@GoneDog wrote:

The 4x ethernet ports just allow 2x of the ports to use link aggregation. Or if your isp supports multiple public ip addresses (most don't) then you can connect 4x devices to it. 

The 6-10gbps is just that, advertising. Its what the docsis 3.1 spec is cable of but the ethernet ports can't hit those speeds and the ISP's don't support those speeds. 

Before buying anything, I'd call your isp to see what they support for speeds. My area maxes out at 1gig. 

Message 6 of 8
GoneDog
Aspirant

Ok, uderstood. 🙂 Actual 10Gb/s speeds are another generation down the road for ISP's... and two 2.5Gb/s ports would only be useful in higher teir applications. Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Connections rates on the CM1000 thru 1200 are 1000Mpbs on the WAN ports. 

Connection rates on the CM2000 series support up to 2.5Gb on the WAN Port. 

These are physical connection rates, not actual data flow. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7