× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFis not the same network?

yohaukka
Aspirant

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFis not the same network?

Kids got PS5 as xmas present and daughter also got Just Dance 2022 game which is controlled with a smart phone app. When we installed the console and the game, everything worked fine. The next day, we just couldn't connect the smart phone app with the game. Shooting from the hip, I disabled the AX feature from the router config and then it worked. But next time we again couldn't connect. So turned out AX is not the issue. After hitting my head against the wall for a while, I realized that the console was on 5 GHz WiFi and the phone on 2.4 GHz. I connected the console to the router with a LAN cable and since then we haven't had any issue with the connection. Now to the question - is it a bug or a feature? The game instructs that the phone and the console have to be in the same LAN or WiFi. If LAN + WiFi 2.4 GHz are in the same network then why aren't WiFi 2.4 GHz and WiFi 5 GHz? And if it's a bug then is in the router, in the console or in the game?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFis not the same network?

Is Smart Connect enabled on the router? 

Did you try disabling Smart Connect and set up separate SSID names for each freqency then connect both of these devices to same frequency to see what happens? 

Message 2 of 3
yohaukka
Aspirant

Re: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFis not the same network?

Smart Connect is enabled and I haven’t tried what you suggested. My gut feeling is that it would probably work. But then the next question would be that what’s the point of Smart Connect and where does the ”smart” come from…
For now I will just keep the PS5 connected with with a cable.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7