× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2nd RAX80 Becomes Defective

ashipps
Aspirant

2nd RAX80 Becomes Defective

1st RAX80 ROUTER:  After 11 months of use (my 1st) RAX80 quit connecting devices.  A power reset did not help and the fan kept running continuously.   The reset button had to be pressed to enable TCP communication with the device.  After performing configuration, LAN and WiFi only partially functioned.  The Router was returned for warranty replacement.

2nd RAX80 ROUTER (Warranty Replacement Received 06/18/2020):  Router worked fine but now four days after completing configuration, the router has quit operating with similar defective characteristics, as experienced with the 1st Router.  LAN and WiFI are down and after executing a power reset the fan runs full power continuously.

I have been satisfied in past years with several Netgear products, however; I am wondering if Netgear is now having quality issues with software/firmware or the hardware components.

What should I do?  Spend an hour or more on the phone with customer service people (risk getting another bad router) or purchase a router from a different manufacturer?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ashipps
Aspirant

Netgear support authorized a warranty replacement after concluding my 2nd router has a hardware fault.  So I expect to setup a 3rd RAX80 soon when it arrives by uploading a saved configuration file.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ashipps, 

Has support been able to follow up on your case letting them know that your issue persists with the replacement router? 

Christian 

Message 2 of 5
ashipps
Aspirant

Netgear support authorized a warranty replacement after concluding my 2nd router has a hardware fault.  So I expect to setup a 3rd RAX80 soon when it arrives by uploading a saved configuration file.

Message 3 of 5
mjc775
Star

Did you use the new power adapter that came with the replacement router? I ask because I've seen power adapters used for other devices go bad, making it seem as if the problem was with the router when in fact it was a bad power adapter.

Message 4 of 5
Fespinosa
Tutor

Are you still having issues? I'm having issues with my RAX80 as well but this is my 3rd router within 2 months. Almost the same issue. The fan keeps running but unlike you the reset button doesnt do anything.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7