× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5G issues - SSID disappears

trombeningen
Guide

5G issues - SSID disappears

My RAX80 has stopped broadcasting the 5g network on all my 5g capable devices. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It appears randomly.

I reboot the router, 5G appears.

FW ver: V1.0.1.56_1.0.23

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

After you updated the firmware did you do a full reset of the device? The RAX80 is fairly new so firmware has been working through some bugs.

There's been a topic created on this issue that you could peruse and try some of the suggestions on there to see if they'll help you.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Nighthawk-RAX80-5G-Radio-problems-...

Message 2 of 17
trombeningen
Guide

Thank you, I think my problem is same as here.

After update, I've full reseted the router.

I use channel 60, it is not a DFS channel.

I have many devices have the latest updates for their operating systems and Wi-Fi drivers. Nintendo Switch, Xperia XZ2, Galaxy S10, etc.

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Not sure where you're located but quite a few places consider channel 60 DFS. here's a link with the list midway through. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Message 4 of 17
trombeningen
Guide

thank you. I try ch.36 now and wait a few days.

Message 5 of 17

In the RAX120 router wireless settings if WPA3 or WPa2 + WPA3 is selected my 5ghz SSID disappears or is not able to connect.

If only WPA2(AES) is selected all is well.

I leave the AX support box unchecked.

Resetting the router after the latest firmware update did nothing to correct this issue.

Paying $25/mo to be a beta tester is not fun.

Message 6 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello whatsthepoint, 

Thank you for your post. I'd like to more details about your report and ask what devices are able/not able to connect when WPA2 + WPA3 is selected? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

~Christian 

Message 7 of 17
trombeningen
Guide

I tried ch36, after few days it also unable to connect 5g. I need to reboot the router. My rax 80 dont have wpa3.
Message 8 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi trombeningen, 

Thank you for the update. I didn't notice any mention of this in your initial post but have you performed a factory reset on the router and going through the setup instructions again? 

Looking forward to your next update!

~Christian 

Message 9 of 17
trombeningen
Guide

yes, I performed a factory resetafter update. But after few days, the 5G still can't connect.

Message 10 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi trombeningen,

Thanks for getting back. I'd like for support to contact with you for further investigation. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a message with your contact details and serial number. 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 17
Badradio
Aspirant

Updated router to latest firmware .58 on 6/25/19 after a full factory restore (again!) and resetting my phone and modem. As with previous firmware, 5ghz band works less than 1 day before stopping. When I connect, I get an (!) Next to the wifi logo and doesn't work. Been using an older wifi 5 Linksys router that uses the 5ghz band with no issue. My wife and I both have Galaxy S10 + phones (wifi 6) that have identical issues with the 5ghz band that my PS4 pro and Xbox1x have experienced being 20 away from the router.
I thought after I updated from firmware .56, this issue would go away, but hasn't. The notes from .58 firmware update on Netgears site state:
*Bug Fixes:
The Wireless Setup page displayed the wrong channel list for the 5GHz band.*
This does not correct the issue of the 5ghz band stopping or slowing down. I reset my rax8 router and works correctly for a minute or 2 and stops again. Changed settings on the web interface with no change - ax, qos mode but the 5ghz band still disappears. I see my neighbors 5ghz but not my own. Had Netgear routers over a decade but this may change going forward. Beyond aggravating.
Message 12 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Badradio - We would like to work with you directly on the issue(s) you're experiencing. If interested, please send me a message with you contact info. 

~Christian 

Message 13 of 17
bostony126
Guide

I am having all the same problems with nothing working.  Should I call in for support?  

Message 14 of 17
bostony126
Guide

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: 

This may be a temporary fix, so I will be sure to update.  So far the only thing that has fixed my issues (same as all of above) is to change the wireless 5ghz network name temporarily, then change it back.  I also changed the channel to 128, so I'm not sure which of those two changes made the "fix" ... but we'll see how long it lasts.  

Message 15 of 17
Badradio
Aspirant

Do not change the name of the bands. 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. Example, if it's netgear81, then leave it as that. I was changing mine and I think that is what the issue was.
I factory restored the router by holding in the button with a pen. Set up and left the setting as default. The 5ghz band does not seem to lose connection anymore. Could be that + and recent update.
Message 16 of 17
bostony126
Guide

I prefer to try my method before factory resetting , and then reconfiguring the router, and then updating it. That requires much more time, but would have been my last resort. IF this happens again and I can just change the name back and forth real quick, I’ll go that route 🙂
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7