× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

802.11ax WiFi: The Latest Internet Standard

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

802.11ax WiFi: The Latest Internet Standard

11AX.png

AX WiFi.jpg
The latest WiFi standard is here! With more and more connected devices entering our homes, the need for reliable connectivity and increased network capacity will be important to support the modern lifestyle. Enter AX WiFi!

802.11ax offers the ultimate solution to connectivity challenges that looms on the future of wireless
networks. AX WiFi users will find theconnection to be reliable as it handles data traffic with ease regardless of the number of connected devices. With additional technology like 1024-QAM, expanded Multi-User MIMO in uplink directions, and OFDMA from the cellular world, 11ax not only boosts speed for individual devices, but also for the entire network.

By taking WiFi to the next level, 802.11ax promises to deliver the fastest and most reliable WiFi yet!

Learn more about AX WiFi by visiting the following:

Blog Articles:

802.11ax: The Latest Wireless Standard

Network Capacity: It’s the New Netowrk Speed

AX WiFi Landing Page:

https://www.netgear.com/landings/AX-WIFI/

Are you excited about the arrival of 802.11ax and the future of WiFi? Tell us your thoughts on the newest WiFi standard and how you expect it to help your smart home!

Message 1 of 29
BretD
Admin

Re: 802.11ax WiFi: The Latest Internet Standard

I can't wait to see how awesomely fast it is!

Message 2 of 29
xnsys
Luminary

I can't wait for a new device to be launched that doesn't keep on randomly disconnecting and crashing the WiFi Radios.

Oh....nearly forgot.....there are devices out there, just not made by NetGear...

Message 3 of 29
Kell2
Aspirant

Hi.
Message 4 of 29
Kell2
Aspirant

Hi
Message 5 of 29
xnsys
Luminary

It's not just the R9000 that has problems, there are problems all across the range...

And it's not as though they aren't aware of these problems, just that either they don't give a xxxx or don't have the skills to fix...

@BretD wrote:

I can't wait to see how awesomely fast it is!

If it's supposed to be fast, but you've got to get the right hardware and firmware combination, not firmware that is riddled with bugs like the rest of the Netgear range, which is harbouring the performance and causing loads of disconnects.  Your customers are getting fed up, start listening and sorting out the problems which are plaguing the Netgear range.

Message 6 of 29
myersw
Master

I expect the firmware supporting the 802.11ax standard to be riddled with issues, just like the current CRAP firmware Netgear issues. How about fixing the current mess before trying the implement a new standard? I have no faith that Netgear can implement this standard and not be plagued with issues. They have been playing with AC for how long and have issues with it. Even old model routers like the r7000 have firmware issues. They should be rock solid by now. 

I would not purchase a Netgear router with ax as I am not into pain and suffering. I want a network that I can set and forget other the configuration changes or firmware updates. Cannot get that with Netgear, at least not with the r8000 and r8000p I sold after a frustrating experience with firmware issues. The r7800 does work well as an AP running Voxel. The Unifi gateway I have just runs, with no Internet issues and provides a ton if traffic breakdown info without impacking performance of Internet speed. If Netgear could have provided a good firmware I probably would not have looked else where, now that I have I can see where I need to go and it is away from Netgear. 

RUN AWAY FROM NETGEAR!!!

Message 7 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Dustin_V @ChristineT ... I hope you see the very baseline issues and can create the awareness and actions required to get out of this mess - which applies to virtually all Netgear consumer wireless routers (Nighthawk, Rxxxx, Dxxxx, Cxxxx). Ensure you manage reliability coming back or Netgear will disappoint more customers - finally never promoting or buying Netgear for their business, for their best friends. 

Message 8 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Dustin_V @ChristineT ... I hope you see the very baseline issues and can create the awareness and actions required to get out of this mess - which applies to virtually all Netgear consumer wireless routers (Nighthawk, Rxxxx, Dxxxx, Cxxxx). Ensure you manage reliability coming back or Netgear will disappoint more customers - finally never promoting or buying Netgear for their business, for their best friends. 

And yes, while talking, thus does include WPA3 on existing products which are still maintained.

Message 9 of 29
xnsys
Luminary

Just had a look over at the gaming side of this forum (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

It's the same old again, XR500 disconnects, wifi drops, blah blah blah...

come on Netgear, pull your socks up and give us something that works.

Message 10 of 29
zoziano
Guide

am wait for it 

Message 11 of 29
myersw
Master

@schumaku wrote:

And yes, while talking, thus does include WPA3 on existing products which are still maintained.

Count me in on the never promoting or buying Netgear for home, business or friends. Decent hardware, BUT CRAP FIRMWARE and firmware does not seem to be getting any better. Sold of 2 of the 3 I owned and as soon as I can replace the r7800 with a Ubiquiti AP it will be gone to. 

Message 12 of 29
xnsys
Luminary

You can add me to that list of never recommending NETGEAR to anybody,  I even went out of my way the other day in the store to tell someone who had a NETGEAR device in their basket not to buy, they put it back, and I will continue to do the same.

I think it's time the R9000 met with a sledgehammer, as at the moment it is nothing more than a very expensive paperweight.

I can't use WiFi calling for fear of the device dropping the signal and being disconnected, streaming simple things such as Netflix gets inturrupted regulary, doesn't happen with the Cisco 3802i I have, nor the Apple AirPort Extreme - can't even use my wireless VoIP phone.

Message 13 of 29
zoziano
Guide

Message 14 of 29
William10a
Master

No matter what people think about Netgear, like Apple computers both have their fan boys and haters. Only the companies behind he names of the company can make customers  happy or drive them away in the way they support the end user's of their products, I would hope that Netgear listens and give want the people want as they can go to others for what they want.

Message 15 of 29
BruceR8500
Aspirant

回复: 802.11ax WiFi: The Latest Internet Standard

Why my wifi has only 15mbps ckecked within a meter using iphone while my home NBN conection speed is 50mbps? 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 16 of 29
myersw
Master

回复: 802.11ax WiFi: The Latest Internet Standard

@BruceR8500 wrote:

Why my wifi has only 15mbps ckecked within a meter using iphone while my home NBN conection speed is 50mbps? 

@BruceR8500

This thread is for discussion of new 802.11xa standard and not for people with questions/issues. 

Please open a new thread and ask your question.

Message 17 of 29
Leoff
Aspirant

I Am so Lost with Netgear stuff. I am paying for 75x 10 Net

But only getting 48x9 Through router Can some one give me heads up on how to correct Problem

Message 18 of 29
myersw
Master

@Leoff

This thread is for discussion of new 802.11xa standard and not for people with questions/issues. 

Please open a new thread and ask your question

Message 19 of 29
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Will ax be a totally new router or through a firmware upgrade?
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 20 of 29
camaro84
Tutor

the 802.11ax will be a new device because of the hardware.

Message 21 of 29
TerryPh
Virtuoso

New device, I assume.. Do not know when NG have it out to public. But hopefully they can push it out soon..
Message 22 of 29
William10a
Master

It will be interesting to see how the new devices that will come with the AX standard on them work with the new routers when they come out.

Message 23 of 29
alokeprasad
Mentor

Probably as useless as the 802.11ad on my R9000.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 24 of 29
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

Is there a list of ad devices? Sounds like they are few and far between.
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7