× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX Recommendation

TexanJohn
Tutor

AX Recommendation

Hello,

I'm experiencing some intermittent issues with our internet service. I think it might be problems with our AC1900 (R7000) that is 7 years old.

I was looking at the AX models. 

We have 3 TV's (2 are 4K), 3 phones, 1 gaming box, 1 occulus, and 4 computers, thermostat, ... all of which can be in use at any given time. Gaming is not a big item/consumption in our house. 

Recommendations?

We seem to get by on a 200Mbp plan from Spectrum (to guage our capacity needs).

On the low end I see something like the AX1800 which seems like an improvement over our current unit. Are the $300+ units needed necessary or worth it?

Thanks.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: AX Recommendation

How big is your home? 

What are the interior walls made of?

Depending on the size, the $300 might be better invested in a system like the triband orbi's versus going up to AX.

AX is great but for a 200mbps, a decent orbi system will easily max that out and potentially provide better coverage. (i'd avoid the dual band orbi's)

Message 2 of 4
TexanJohn
Tutor

2700 sqft, standard 2x4 with sheetrock for the walls

Because of the layout/length, currently I have two AC1900's. Each on one end of the house with the far one operating in AP mode (recieving a hardwire connection from the main AC1900).

I have concerns my main AC1900 is aging/failing, so possibly looking at a newer unit. 

I will research the tri-band orbi's. Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

The r7000 has had firmware issues for a while. 

Some have revived them by using version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. If you try it, install it over a hardwired connection, then do a factory reset, and a clean install (not from backup). Might be worth a shot as the r7000 should easily handle 200mbps. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7