× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX12 RAX120 Overheating Daily

Konoki5k
Star

AX12 RAX120 Overheating Daily

Upgraded to the RAX120 and shelled out quite a bit of money for this and 2 nighthawk EAX 80's for overkill wifi coverage. But i have to restart the AX12 every day sometimes more then once. Ive never heard the fan kick on except on restart. The unit is super hot to the touch. Its sitting on the top of my desk hutch, good airflow no obstructions. Is there a way to manually turn this fan on so this thing stays cooler?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
plemans
Guru

@Konoki5k wrote:

Upgraded to the RAX120 and shelled out quite a bit of money for this and 2 nighthawk EAX 80's for overkill wifi coverage. But i have to restart the AX12 every day sometimes more then once. Ive never heard the fan kick on except on restart. The unit is super hot to the touch. Its sitting on the top of my desk hutch, good airflow no obstructions. Is there a way to manually turn this fan on so this thing stays cooler?

Why are you restarting it? What issue is causing you to require a restart? 

I'm guessing (again guessing) its because you're getting an "internet not available" message? Again guessing as you didn't put why you're restarting. 

My guess probably wouldn't be the router. They do get hot but not overheating hot. They have passive cooling and only kick on when they're under a high load for a long period. 

My guess is probably the EAX80's you're using. I'm betting you set them up in mesh mode. They are mesh extenders but function poorly when they have more than 1 extender and are using the mesh setup. Reason why is they loop. What I mean is that if they're in the same area and can see the other extenders wifi, sometimes they connect to each other and loop. Then anything connecting to the extenders, end up without having internet avaible. the simple fix is to make one of the extenders have its own uniqure SSID. 

if you're not running them in mesh mode, let me know and we'll look further. 

Or if your reason for rebooting is different. 

the not simple fix? Actually get a mesh setup designed to run full mesh like Orbi. 

What firmware is on the router?

Firmware on the extenders?

Modem you're using?

Message 2 of 24
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Do the EAX80 as a pair really do that? 
ive a pair of EX8000 and are as stable as can be. The only time they throw a fit is if the router has been turned off. Placement is key but they should not loop one they connect to the router and it's a stable Wi-fi.

Info is a bit limited but if you have not done a reset on the router after upgrading I would do that with the pin hole method and remember not to use any saved profiles afterwards.

Message 3 of 24
plemans
Guru

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Do the EAX80 as a pair really do that? 
ive a pair of EX8000 and are as stable as can be. The only time they throw a fit is if the router has been turned off. Placement is key but they should not loop one they connect to the router and it's a stable Wi-fi.

Info is a bit limited but if you have not done a reset on the router after upgrading I would do that with the pin hole method and remember not to use any saved profiles afterwards.

they don't inherently connect to each other. But if for some reason they get disconnected from the router and one connects to the other extender, it increases the latency/lowers the speed and then if the other extender has the same happen........it causes the looping. 

The only time its recommended to use the mesh setup when you're running multiple extenders is if the extenders aren't in range of each other.  Which gets less common the better extenders get. 

Otherwise its best to have one extender on its own ssid. 

Message 4 of 24
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I’m finding them pretty good but they could do with connect to router only like the Orbi system has. 
apart from that the system is stable with the AX12 RAX120 where as with the XR500 I had constant issues with connections with the extenders. It's like the old Apple routers, turn on and forget which is perfect.

Message 5 of 24
plemans
Guru

@Newfiedrool wrote:

I’m finding them pretty good but they could do with connect to router only like the Orbi system has. 
apart from that the system is stable with the AX12 RAX120 where as with the XR500 I had constant issues with connections with the extenders. It's like the old Apple routers, turn on and forget which is perfect.

it'd be nice if they had the mesh setup like orbi but then it'd eat into the purpose of orbi (and profit). 

Whenever I find people needing more than a single extender I usually recommend moving to a true mesh system like orbi. 

Message 6 of 24
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

To be frank, I got 2 extenders due to the poor Wi-fi experience with the XR500, I could now quite easily do away with them however I've got an Arlo plugged into one as I don't want it near the main router which is in the sitting room. 
I have though used one in the past to extend an isp's free Wi-fi which I get as a package as my companions place has no Wi-fi so I just tap into free Wi-fi as her I was out with the same isp as I am and then I'm able to cover her house with a nice strong signal. Fine for streaming music and surfing.

Message 7 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

Yes im restarting due to no internet and when i say hot i mean dang hot. Latest firmware as of sunday on all devices. Extenders are wired throughout the house. Router is in use all day as my wife works from home and my son streams and games all day. Have tried it for a few days with the extenders off and its still kicking her a few times a day.

Message 8 of 24
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Did you do a full reset after the last updated firmware. If not use the pin hole at the rear and don't use a saved profile as that can introduce issues from the saved config.

my 120 is warm but not hot as in too hot to handle.

have you raised a support issue yet?

Message 9 of 24
plemans
Guru

sorry @Newfiedrool and i got on a bit of a tangent. 🙂 

What modem are you using? 

Again, they do run warm to hot. 

You weren't that specific again saying "it kicked her". Is it connected and saying "no internet available", are wired devices loosing connection, etc. The better details you give me the better i can help.

What firmware number is it? 

An immediate reboot fixes the issue? this usually isn't true if its an overheating issue as it takes a bit to cool enough to function again. 

When everything is up and running and its running hot, go to *192.168.1.1/debug.htm    (*whatever lan address you set for your router) this pulls up a cpu monitor on pretty much all models. I don't have the RAX120 but i think it also has the option for monitoring the fan.  Thermal_FAN.htm       just replace the debug.htm with this and it should being you the fan monitor page.  Again, I don't have a RAX120 to test it on and its specific to qualcomm. 

Message 10 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

I love the Extenders I had them in wireless connection mode about a month ago and they worked well. The Wife needed a better connection speed so i broke down and had the house wired. Now im using them as WAP's with built in switches. Love them, WIFI in the house is amazing.

Message 11 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

Will Try it when i get  home, Normally leaving the unit off for a few min helps. The firmware version is 1.0.1.114. And when i say it kicks her, Wireless and wired do not work, cable modem is not accessable when this happens. Ive given my PC a static IP and its plugged into the router and I cannot connect to it till its turned off for a few min. Its connected to an xfinity modem in bridge mode. I dont have the model avaliable as im at work atm. 

Message 12 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Did you do a full reset after the last updated firmware. If not use the pin hole at the rear and don't use a saved profile as that can introduce issues from the saved config.

my 120 is warm but not hot as in too hot to handle.

have you raised a support issue yet?

No i didnt do a full Reset but i will do that tonight when i get home and then redo the settings. then i will try the debug page as well to see what is going on with it. I have not started a support ticket yet. Thought i would check here first to see if there was something i could do. 

Message 13 of 24
plemans
Guru

try the reset. If that doesn't help, try downgrading the firmware a version. the RAX devices are pretty new and still a work in progress firmware wise. 

If that doesn't help, I'd open the support ticket with netgear as maybe you do indeed have a bad fan/device. 

Message 14 of 24
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Any update after the reset?

Message 15 of 24
Redtulips7
Luminary

@plemans wrote:

sorry @Newfiedrool and i got on a bit of a tangent. 🙂 

What modem are you using? 

Again, they do run warm to hot. 

You weren't that specific again saying "it kicked her". Is it connected and saying "no internet available", are wired devices loosing connection, etc. The better details you give me the better i can help.

What firmware number is it? 

An immediate reboot fixes the issue? this usually isn't true if its an overheating issue as it takes a bit to cool enough to function again. 

When everything is up and running and its running hot, go to *192.168.1.1/debug.htm    (*whatever lan address you set for your router) this pulls up a cpu monitor on pretty much all models. I don't have the RAX120 but i think it also has the option for monitoring the fan.  Thermal_FAN.htm       just replace the debug.htm with this and it should being you the fan monitor page.  Again, I don't have a RAX120 to test it on and its specific to qualcomm. 

192.168.1.1/debug.htm >>>Fan always on = Don't turn on the Fan

192.168.1.1/Thermal_FAN.htm>>>It give you five different Fan option>>After you choose one and Apply=404 Server error

I don't have any overheating problem bc I am always use Labtop cooler under the Router. 

Message 16 of 24
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

The good old 404, it's been that way for a long time.

mines fairly cool, a bit warm on the top but not hot. It's winter here  so will be interesting to see what it's like in the summer. 

Message 17 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

sorry been a while i ended up going out of town have not done the resset yet. sorry about the delay.

Message 18 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

I don't have any overheating problem bc I am always use Labtop cooler under the Router. 

Im really liking that idea of a fan under it. Are you plugging it right into the usb port ?

Message 19 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@Redtulips7 wrote:

192.168.1.1/debug.htm >>>Fan always on = Don't turn on the Fan

192.168.1.1/Thermal_FAN.htm>>>It give you five different Fan option>>After you choose one and Apply=404 Server error

Even if these URLs are not part of the standard user documentation, it makes a poor reference that ...

• /Thermal_FAN.htm does show a ...
    Current thermal sensor temperature: NaNC.

....not the most promising thing ... what-if the teperature sensor handling went bullocks (considering Netgears non-existing quality control) and the automatic fan control might simply not work*

• And any attempts to take control end in a 404.

*@Altsai I've intentionally covered the R9000 (1.0.5.15) under a nice thick decoration carpet it started to become reasonably warm after 48 hours - and the fan remained off... This is simply not acceptable and not better than any 4.99USD junk-table-sales router firmware quality what Netgear is still offering to the customers.

Message 20 of 24
griffdb
Initiate

I have the same router and also have been facing intermittent "no internet" issues.

I do have an EAX20 extender.  Things work much better now that I use a different SSID for the extender.

I also configured the EAX20 to connect via the 5GHz band to the RAX120 and broadcast on the 2.4GHz band.

One of the posts mentioned accessing this link:  http://www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm

On the page, there is a setting to "Always enable fan".

I've just turned it on.

My router is in the attic, so I haven't confirmed that the fan has turned on.

I'll see whether it makes a difference.

Cheers.

--Griff

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 21 of 24
Topology
Virtuoso

Konoki5k, to assist with heat management on the router, you may wish to consider the use of a USB powered fan (see here).

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 22 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

Fan is running first time ive ever heard it active aside from system startup. Going to be trying that for a while. might lookin into the usb cooler to put under it or over it not sure which would work better. 

Message 23 of 24
Konoki5k
Star

That might be a better option insted of the internal fan. Less ware and tear on a part thats harder to get to.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7