× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX12 not broadcasting 5GHz network

Schmeeds
Aspirant

AX12 not broadcasting 5GHz network

I have had a new Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 router for about 2 months without any issues until today. The 5GHz band is not broadcasting despite the Netgear App and web interface indicating the 5GHz networks is good. For what it's worth, this issue was discovered after our power went out. Device Info: * Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 * Firmware: V1.0.1.122 I have tried the following with no luck: * Reboot the device - Both from the web interface and hard power button * Toggled the Smart Connect ON and OFF * Factory reset - Held the reset button for ~10 seconds and reconfigured * Changed the 5GHz Channel to lower numbers, 36-48 and tried a few of the mid DFS channels Checked: * Enable SSID Broadcast is ON for the 5GHz network * Checked on several devices, mobile, tablet, desktop, laptop. None display the 5GHz network * The Nighthawk web interface and App only show devices connected to the 2.GHz network * On the latest firmware, 1.0.1.122 * 2.4GHz network is working fine
Message 1 of 10
Schmeeds
Aspirant

Re: AX12 not broadcasting 5GHz network

Reformatting my original post for readability. 

I have had a new Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 router for about 2 months without any issues until today. The 5GHz band is not broadcasting despite the Netgear App and web interface indicating the 5GHz networks is good.

For what it's worth, this issue was discovered after our power went out.

Device Info:

• Nighthawk AX12 RAX120
  • Firmware: V1.0.1.122

I have tried the following with no luck:

• Reboot the device - Both from the web interface and hard power button
  • Toggled the Smart Connect ON and OFF
  • Factory reset - Held the reset button for ~10 seconds and reconfigured
  • Changed the 5GHz Channel to lower numbers, 36-48 and tried a few of the mid DFS channels

Checked:

• Enable SSID Broadcast is ON for the 5GHz network
  • Checked on several devices, mobile, tablet, desktop, laptop. None display the 5GHz network
  • The Nighthawk web interface and App only show devices connected to the 2.GHz network
  • On the latest firmware, 1.0.1.122
  • 2.4GHz network is working fine
Message 2 of 10

What does the 5 GHz LED look like?

I can't tell from tjhe manual iof that LED is also a switch.

Have you experimented with older firmware?

Message 3 of 10
rinthos
Luminary

I think your best bet would be download a really old firmware version and load it...

If lucky it contains a different wifi driver version which may "wake up" the radio.

If not, try another power adaptor if you can find one, could be providing insufficient power to the router.

Finally, if the above 2 are no-go, I believe you've got a hardware-related issue 😞 

Message 4 of 10
Schmeeds
Aspirant

@rinthos @michaelkenward

Thank you for the advice. I tried a couple older firmware versions but unfortunately the problem persists leading me to believe this is a hardware issue. I am using the power supply that shipped with the router and I don't have another power supply that will work with this router.

Here are the details for what I tried regarding firmware rollback. The latest is 1.0.1.122.

1. Installed the version before the latest firmware, V1.0.1.118 followed by a reboot after downloading.
  2. Installed the oldest available and initial release version firmware, 1.0.0.58, again followed by a reboot after the update.

In addition, I am using a couple WiFi sniffer apps to view all available WiFi signals and signal strengths to be sure it is not broadcasting at 5GHz.

Sadly, the router is a little over a month old and passed the return window where I purchased it so I will have to figure out how to exchange with Netgear directly.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 10

@Schmeeds wrote:

Sadly, the router is a little over a month old and passed the return window where I purchased it so I will have to figure out how to exchange with Netgear directly.

There is a minimum of a one year warranty on new routers.

At a quick glance, you never did answer the question about the 5GHz LED.

Message 6 of 10
Schmeeds
Aspirant

No, the router does not have any buttons for 5GHz. Toggling 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands ON/OFF is done within the admin panel. 

Message 7 of 10

@Schmeeds wrote:

Toggling 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands ON/OFF is done within the admin panel. 

That's not what the manual says.

Pressing the WiFi button for two seconds turns the 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz WiFi LEDs
and WiFi radios on and off.

But it isn't always the most reliable source.

Message 8 of 10
Schmeeds
Aspirant

@michaelkenward 

Sorry, you are correct. The router does have a physical button on top (image attached) to toggle all WiFi radios ON/OFF by holding down the WiFi button for 2 seconds. I have used the button to toggle the radios ON/OFF a few times to attempt a kickstart of the 5GHz radio but I still do not see my 5GHz network. 

I am in the process of returning the router. 

Message 9 of 10
rinthos
Luminary

@Schmeeds wrote:

@michaelkenward 

Sorry, you are correct. The router does have a physical button on top (image attached) to toggle all WiFi radios ON/OFF by holding down the WiFi button for 2 seconds. I have used the button to toggle the radios ON/OFF a few times to attempt a kickstart of the 5GHz radio but I still do not see my 5GHz network. 

I am in the process of returning the router. 

Sorry to hear, but I think it's the only solution.  If it's a warranty replacement, I'd stress both getting a replacement router AND AC adapter.

If it's a retailer return/exchange, then obviously less to deal with except for return policies etc.

Given current circumstances in various parts of the world due to Covid-19, you may find retailer return policies to be slightly more accomidating...*fingers crossed*.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7