× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX12 very slow ping/latency

tedlums
Aspirant

AX12 very slow ping/latency

ax12 latency too high to run hulu. error occurs on multiple tv's so not a tv issue... tried unplugging for 30 mins and latency dropped some but still have error and can not play hulu. reset factory defaults... still have error.... i have attached pics of speed test... spectrum tested and all good on their end. i called for netgear support and i am past the 3 month support assistance but called anyway because i think i might have a hardware issue and this is still covered under the 1 year warranty. the router is less than 4 months old. i was told a higher level tech would need to call me back to try and resolve issue... didnt get a call back. not sure what to do at this point. the unit feels hotter than what i think it should and i dont think the fan was running when i put my hand over it. cant return it to best buy because its past 3 months... what should i do? i purchased this because its supposed to be the best and i have had very good luck using netgear products in the past. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: AX12 very slow ping/latency

I'm not a huge fan of fast.com for internet testing. I've found it can never max out my speeds or gives me unreliable results. I've found the tools at dslreports.com more reliabe and better for testing.  Try these and see how you do. I have played with the RAX200 and was able to stream without issues.

A couple things you can try/test.

1. Smart connect. I've found the implementation on the RAX200 to not be as fluid as I liked. I shut it off so I could choose which 5ghz channel to choose from.

2. It looks like you have plenty of speed. I did find with my RAX that If I enabled QoS, my speeds improved a bit. This stayed even after disabling it. 

3. Are your tv's connecting via wifi or hardwired? Wifi is a harder one to pinpoint as many things can affect wifi speeds. This includes wireless interference, hvac in the walls, plaster lathe, foil lined insulation, and to many HD/4K devices on the same band. Play with changing your channels.

4. The RAX has the option of 160hz wide channels. I'm not sure how many tv's support this feature at the current time. It might be beneficial to turn it off as your tv won't connect to those channels and will only use the 2.4ghz channels.

5. Some devices are having issues with the wireless 6 (AX) spec. You can disable AX and see if it helps. I only know of 1 phone and intel/killer cards that support AX so if you don't have those, disabling it for now isn't going to impact your speeds. 

here's your manual for the RAX200. let me know how it goes. What firmware are you currently on? I know the updates are slowly helping mitigate some of the issues the RAX had/has. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX200.aspx

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

I shouldn't have said the 160hz wide channels won't all it to connect. Its just that the tv might not recognize/connect and default back to the 2.4ghz channels which have lower speeds/bandwidth for streaming. 

Message 3 of 12
tedlums
Aspirant

Thank you for the tips, I will try when i get home tonight. The TV's worked great with multiple streams at the same time through wifi then all of the sudden started getting error messages. When I called Hulu they said my latency was too high and thats why I was getting the error message. When I test the speed on living room TV (5ft from router) speeds are only showing around 2575. I will also check the firmware, shows its up to date.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you're only 5ft from the router, hardwire in that specific tv. One less device clogging up the bands. 🙂  It leaves more bandwidth for everything else you're using. I know you stated you have other tvs with the issue but I hardwire in everything I possible can in my house to free up the wireless spectrum. 

Message 5 of 12
tedlums
Aspirant

Now that you mention it... I did notice I did not have an option of chooing 2g or 5g when i reset to factory settings on tv and router. I will check that as well tonight

Message 6 of 12
avtella
Prodigy

I don’t think it has anything to do with AX or HT160, I myself since the last two firmwares have had issues (only with the Intel clients in my case) where there would suddenly be massive ping spikes until I disconnected and reconnected to the network. I tried using only HT80 and AC mode only as well to check and it made no difference. On rare occasions all clients would drop not just the Intel ones.
Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

@avtella wrote:
I don’t think it has anything to do with AX or HT160, I myself since the last two firmwares have had issues (only with the Intel clients in my case) where there would suddenly be massive ping spikes until I disconnected and reconnected to the network. I tried using only HT80 and AC mode only as well to check and it made no difference. On rare occasions all clients would drop not just the Intel ones.

Intel did have issues with their drivers when the RAX devices first came out. Not sure how they are currently as there have been a few updates from intel recently directed at fixing those issues. 

Message 8 of 12
tedlums
Aspirant

i was able to go through your suggestions last night, so Smart Connect is shut off, played with QoS and no improvement, did not hard wire ... actually morl like 10 ft from router, disabled AX, and firmware is V1.0.1.90. Performed another factory reset, all resulted in no improvement

Message 9 of 12
tedlums
Aspirant

the router does usually show tv connected at 2.4, i switched to 5g and no improvement

Message 10 of 12
tedlums
Aspirant

when running speed test from the tv, it would move from 2875 kbs and drop to as low as 245 kbs if i kept retesting every few seconds. never got above 2900

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you've tried factory resetting, play with qos, shutting off AX, playing with channel width, and smart connect. I'd maybe try downgrading firmware to an earlier version to see if there's a bug with this one causing issues.

One thing I didn't ask was what modem are you connectingg to? What speeds do you get directly connected to modem and speeds directly connected to router?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7