× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX2400 When I do a speed test I'm only receiving 170 mbs download My data service is 1gps.

crimson40
Follower

AX2400 When I do a speed test I'm only receiving 170 mbs download My data service is 1gps.

I have a AX2400 router just purchased and my service is 1gps.  I'm using the 5g band for my computers and when I do my speed test I'm only getting 170mbs.  I should be pulling more I'm wondering what I need to do to get speed up.

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: AX2400 When I do a speed test I'm only receiving 170 mbs download My data service is 1gps.

A couple things. 

1. AX2400 is a speed not a model. 

2. Usually the biggest bottleneck in wireless speeds is the device you're testing on. 

for example, if you router is a 4x4 antenna router, most wireless devices are only 1x1 or 2x2 devices. They'll connect at 1/4 or 1/2 of the speeds their capable of. Or if the router supports speeds using 160hz wide channels and your device only supports 80hz wide channels. that'll cut the link speed in hald. 

3. Link speed isn't the same as throughput speed. Actual throughput is usually round 55-65% of what your link speed is (in my experience)

4. You don't put what actual device you're testing on. If its an AC device, its not going to hit AX speeds. And even AX speeds drop off quickly with distance/obstructions. 

There's a bunch of information on why wireless speeds are misunderstood and very over inflated. Not a bad read and very informative. 

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

What actual device are you testing on? (its wifi chipset)

How far from the router are you? 

What wired speeds do you get? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7