× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX3000 stops broadcasting Wifi RAX35

duaneklotz
Guide

AX3000 stops broadcasting Wifi RAX35

This is a RAX35 but only the RAX40 is listed in the Model listing.

I purchased a Nighthawk AX3000 about 4 months ago.  6 weeks ago it stopped broadcasting Wifi but the Ethernet ports to the internet worked fine.  No computer could see the signal for 2.4 or 5 and my software to scan for signals could not see it.  Wifi still turned on in setttings.  Plugged in one Netgear and no issues.  Called customer support and they confirmed I was on the lastest update and had me do factory reset.  It worked for about 3 more weeks and then started dropping the wifi broadcast again, Ethernet still working and wifi scan cound not find signal.  Got a new modem from the cable company as they said that was next.  Tried a reset and not a solution.  Unplugged for a day and then used again and lasted for about 24 hours and stopped again.  Called support on my last of my 90 days and they said (asfter taking to someone else) to stop AX, start friendly sharing and change MTUs to 1450 of which I said non of these would seem to affect Wifi broadcast just stopping with the ports still working.  It seemed the it is a bad connection to the Wifi radio and then when it heats up after use looses contact.  They said call be it still and issue.  I have been on lastest update throughout.

It worked only 20 hours this time and called back within 24 hours.  I was told I would have to buy a $86 "pro(??) technical support if they were to do anymore trouble shooting.  I ask how I could request the hardware warranty as this looked like a hardware issue and they kept saying that they would only discuss after I paid them.  Asked to to a supervisor and was told no and I could file a complaint!!!  I emailed 2 times to "file a complaint" and no answer.

Is there some fix to the Wifi stopping broadcasting and everything else working great??

Is there anyplace to excercise the one year warranty without paying money for more questionable/bad technical advise.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello duaneklotz,

Please send me a private message with your email address and case number(s). I'd like to look into this further.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 28
internetislife
Initiate

I'm having the same exact issue except I have the RAX40 version and I've called over 5 times and they keep hanging up.

Message 3 of 28
justa4door
Initiate

also having type of issue updated 6/26/20- my main issue is my router no longer allows traffic trough ports. I can no longer direct connect. my ISP traffic is not coming in,  I connected a differnet router and no issues - everything works great with a differnet older router

when I dirrect connect and try to ping - no responce and times out I have used all 4 ports , I have pinged anything and everything you can think of

I can no longer connect via desktop access with 192.168.8.1 (I changed it ) also tried all  connections thinkging it changed . no luck. tried www.routerlogin.net .. nothing .. only way I can connect is via the phone app. when I use the phone app it says its offline and no traffic is coming from my ISP, it shows no data has been sent or recieved 

Im not able to do the manual connectin to 'downgrade' the firmware - when I reset it from the back it just resets all my passwords and user names 

does anyone have a way to flach with the phone app? 

Message 4 of 28
cbondre
Tutor

I am facing the same exact issue with RAX35 (AX3000) since i last upgraded the firmware a month ago. The WiFII keeps dropping off every day or so.

Message 5 of 28
internetislife
Initiate

I ended up buying the Orbi Mesh system and it’s amazing. Haven’t had an issue. You can choose to use the older firmware if you want to reupload it. It’s available on one of the net gear posts.
Message 6 of 28
iMSK
Tutor

I am also facing the same exact issue with RAX35 (AX3000) since 19th Jul 2020. The WiFi is not bradcasting the network name and so not able to connect 192.168.1.1 as well to troubleshoot for any further issue. Looks router hardware problem. Can someone from support team help on this?

Message 7 of 28
achi
Aspirant

I am also facing exact same issue since I upgraded to latest firmwire in July (Mine RAX35). I have to restart my router everytime it happens. It last for few hours or few days. Desperately looking for a patch or solution ASAP.

Message 8 of 28
Krystal0724
Aspirant

I’m having the same exact issues. Been happening for a couple of weeks. Sometimes a reset will help for a couple of days sometimes only for a couple of hours. If there is a solution from anyone please share!
Message 9 of 28
Motoguzzler
Tutor

I have exacty the same issue with the same model Router bought in January 2020.  Although there have been some outages with the ISP due to weather from time to time I am the only person in my subdivision using this ISP with persistent problems.  The symptoms are identical with failures ocurring two to three times a day.  The address http://192.168.1.1/ is not available during these failures alhough all the indicator lights on both Cable Modem and Router are normal.  I was impressed with the significant speed increase using this router however the past several weeks of daily failures are too much.  When the router allows I also interrogate the Surboard DOCSIS 3.0 modem for signal quality and all upstream and downstream values are in specification.  I bought this modem a few years ago and it has been very reliable though I may switch to 3.1 when the ISP improves the number of upstream and downstream bonding channels.

Some self recovery does seem to happen on occasion however I usually need to turn off and on again to return to stable operation.  The problem has been around since late June / early July.  Not sure when the last upgrade took place but do note in the upgrade notes for V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 the words "Fixes the WiFi driver crash issue" as a bug fix.....which it appears not to do.

George  - Electronics Engineer.

Message 10 of 28
cbondre
Tutor

Hello Friends

I see lot of folks having similar issues with RAX35 (AX3000) Model as i have. Tried many options by calling Netgear support (which was limited), even disabled AX featured. Nothing worked as the problem still remained.  On 8/1 i finally downgraded the firmware to last working one (RAX35_V1.0.3.62_1.0.1) , one can find it in Netgear support site for that model.

Last 1 week, touchwood i dont see the problem occuring. I want to test it out for the whole month of Aug before confirming if the downgrade works.  I am pretty confident that the issue occured due to the firmware latest upgrade (RAX35-V1.0.3.80_1.0.1)

If any one has a better fix that is working let us know , else try the above and hopefully it works.

If this doesnt work , not sure if i should buy the warranty for 6 months and try out discussing with netgear, although i feel that wont work. 

Hope this msg helps others who face similar problem espcially in these times, when lot of families are working from home and kids studing online.

Thank you. Stay safe

Message 11 of 28
Motoguzzler
Tutor

I think I may have found a temporary fix.  In the router menu I have disabled the Guest feature and selected the Enable Smart Connect in the Wireless / Basic tab.   Two changes at once is not so scientific however this has been working for two days without necessitating a router power down - it was three times every day up unitl this change.  May be a just a coincidence or turning off the Guest network may suffice however interested to see if anyone else has tried this or can try it.  Clearly a firmware issue if the full functional capability is not possible and we are reduced to turning off features.

Message 12 of 28
Motoguzzler
Tutor

In addition to the last post I had also noticed that during the failures the 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSID's would disappear but the Guest networks would stay visible even though they no longer provided internet access.  Again, a possible coincidence and perhaps not related but it could mean something.

Message 13 of 28
duaneklotz
Guide

I downgraded and found that the router will stop and recover several times a day but only for a minute.  Not fun when presenting in a Zoom meeting.  Simpli Safe emails me each time so I have a clear record of the occurrences.  This is much better than then current firmware where my wife wanted it in the garbage and by a different brand.

Message 14 of 28
bepbep
Aspirant

There is a .64 firmware I got from tier 2 It fixed the dhcp issue with the .62 firmware and the bandwidth issue of the .80 firmware. I just want to know when there going to release a fix and not the Bata.

Message 15 of 28
duaneklotz
Guide

Thanks for the forward note.  Seems that the RX35 and the RX40 are the same routers except the RX40 has a USB port and the RX35 does not. There is a .64 firmware listed along with many others under the RX40 but not the RX35. Will try the .64 firmware

Message 16 of 28
bepbep
Aspirant

I used the RAX35-V1.0.3.68_1.0.1 as there is no listing in the Model box for the RAX35 

I have issues with the dhcp but the radio stays up fine now. It takes a few times to connect to the ssid to get the dhcp to work and connect. But all in all it works great. However don't do much in way of changes. I still have issues when making changes in the GUI. I just add the correct SSID and change the channel on the 2.4 because of interferance. Hope they test the new firmware before it gets released. I would be happy to test the Beta if they had some?

Message 17 of 28
Motoguzzler
Tutor

The blocking of the guest channels and automating the band selection seems to allow the router to automatically reset over a few minutes rather than requiring a power down however I have now rolled back firmware as suggested.  Lets see what happens as on the verge of junking the router and switching to another manufacturer.  Sad as have bought netgear products for last fifteen years or so.

Message 18 of 28
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk AX Community,

May you revert to the previous firmware version and let me know if your issue persists. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061320/RAX35-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-62

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 19 of 28
Motoguzzler
Tutor

No interruptions since I rolled back the firmware upgrade and turned off automatic update.  Several weeks of three to four times a day power downs restarts and now back to normal pre July performance.  Two days of normal operation has convinced me that this is the issue!

Message 20 of 28
duaneklotz
Guide

I have the same issue when rolling back to .62 as it powers down and restarts several times a day which is not fun when presenting on line.  Interesting that the RAX40 seems to be the same machine but with a USB port.  It has the same firmware upgrade versions as the RAX35.  The 40 has a version .64 which fixed the problem of random resets in version .62. I think I will try the 64 firmware.  

Message 21 of 28
duaneklotz
Guide

Very frustrated as seems to be little concern about fixing firmware.  Rolled back to .60 and still had issues.  RAX 40 and RAX 35 seem to be same machine except RAX 40 has a USB and has the same plus many more firmware updates.  Use the RAX 40 .64 update (the one before .80) on my RAX 35 and after a bump in the first 24 hours has been working great!  Sad  had to find my own solution for a company that I have had the past great support from!!

Message 22 of 28
Motoguzzler
Tutor

I have had no further issues since rolling back firmware so back to original pre end of June performance.

Message 23 of 28
EagleGrampa
Tutor

I have rolled back the firmware as you suggested. I will (obviously) monitor the RAX35 performance closely and report back after some time.

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Nighthawk AX Community,

May you revert to the previous firmware version and let me know if your issue persists. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061320/RAX35-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-62

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 24 of 28
EagleGrampa
Tutor

Rolling back firmware was NOT the solution for me. It was worse. I reloaded current firmware and so far I have not reexperiwnced the problem. Not saying it’s correct but I will keep a close eye on this.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7