× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4 WiFi 6 router connection problems and drop out.

Ace4454
Tutor

AX4 WiFi 6 router connection problems and drop out.

I’m currently trying to set up my new “latest and greatest” router. Modem is and arris sb6183. I get internet connection if I hook up directly to the mode. with my laptop. When the modem is connected to the router all lights indicate green....but I have no internet connection. LAN through the router doesn’t work either. When I have been able to connect (maybe 5 mins or less) the app. Indicates firmware is current. Then it drops out. Everything has been power cycled, reset, all connections checked. All of the support links I have found require access to the router....that I can’t access. Any ideas?
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: AX4 WiFi 6 router connection problems and drop out.

@Ace4454 wrote:
When the modem is connected to the router all lights indicate green....but I have no internet connection. LAN through the router doesn’t work either.

Can you expand on what that stuff means?

How are you trying to connect to the Internet? Wifi? Wired? What with?

What is the LAN connection and what are you doing on it that tells you that there is no Internet connection?

Message 2 of 6
Ace4454
Tutor

Router: Power, Connection, 2.4, 5. Are all green. Indicating that I should have WiFi connection. I have tried to connect through WiFi with my phone and laptop. I have tried wired connection with laptop (cable connection + cable modem + Router + laptop). Cable modem lights all indicated connection which was confirmed by directly connect cable + cable modem + laptop. The internet connection stops at the router. NETGEAR app. Tells me the router is offline, on a few rare occasions after reboot it’s reads online, seconds later it disconnects. When I try hardwire with my laptop to the router while all lights are green the outcome is similar I have access for under 5 mins. This was how I attempted to do the setup wizard and as soon as it checked for internet the connection was lost. The connection light will then turn from green the amber/orange. After a reset of all devices it will go green again for the same amount of time indicated above. I don’t know if that is all the information you were looking for?
Message 3 of 6

You have really just repeated what we already knew, but at greater length. We still do not know what you are doing and what happens.

Let;'s go through it.

@Ace4454 wrote:
I have tried to connect through WiFi with my phone and laptop. I have tried wired connection with laptop (cable connection + cable modem + Router + laptop).

What are you doing and what happens when you try?

Can your phone see the router's SSID? What ha[ppens when you try to log in?

Does it reject the password? Does it show any other messages?

Likewise, does the laptop throw up any messages when you try to connect?

Can these devices connect to different wifi sources?

Is this a Windows laptop?

@Ace4454 wrote:
The internet connection stops at the router.

What does that mean? Where do you see messages saying that?

@Ace4454 wrote:
NETGEAR app. Tells me the router is offline....

What is this Netgear app? There are lots of them.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 4 of 6
Ace4454
Tutor

I spent way too much time on something that should have been simple. I exchanged the ax4 for a nighthawk X6 ac3200. Plugged it in when through the nighthawk app. For setup. 10 mins later I have WiFi and no issues. Unfortunately I don’t have the time or patience to be a lab rat to an extremely buggy launch of a new product.
Message 5 of 6
Bobiclese
Initiate

Multiple issues. Here's how I dealt with each:

1. Login loop due to no initial internet connection. The setup wizard runs in a loop to find a connection and just hooks back around when it doesn't find one.

UNPLUG THE CABLE FROM THE ROUTER TO THE MODEM.

This will mean the wizard will give TWO options to continue and not one. The second option is to set up manually, do that, stops the wizard.

2. After login loop you get to the page with admin login and security questions. The problem here is that the password fields are not tagged as required fields. They ARE. If you have no password in the fields the button for next does not work. Enter passwords and the button works. No visual change to the button it just works now.

3. Many ISPs require a VLAN setting for a fibre connection. It is not obvious at all how this is done in this beastie. Here's how. My ISP, Trustpower in NZ, requires VLAN ID 10.

Once you actually have logged in to the router after the looping and inactive Next button you have the main home screen of the router.

Click on the Advanced tab.

Go to the bottom where VLAN/Bridging is and click on it.

Click the check box to enable, this opens up the next options.

Check the VLAN by tag group radio button.

Click the Add button (going off memory here, at another location).

The VLAN ID is 10, The name should come up automatically as Internet, or it did for me anyway, other ISPs will depend on how they're set up, check with them. Priority I left as 0, not actually sure if 7 or 0 is best, nothing indicates which way around the priority is chosen, highest or lowest.

Not sure if this matters but the next order did at least seem to matter.

Turn off the modem on the wall.

Reboot the router with all plugs in. Wait. Wait more. Wait for green lights, usually took about 2-3 minutes.

THEN turn on the modem.

In a minute or so the router will go yellow light for the Internet (2nd light down) while it establishes its connection.

Then it will go green once it is established and working. Wooooohooooo!!! Hopefully 🙂

PS. I updated the firmware manually before getting it connected to the internet so it could check itself. No idea if this was a required step for it to work or not.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7