Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4200 RBK753 Backhaul speeds do not seem to be to specifications (web portal says 1.2Gbps not 2.4)

doghound
Star

AX4200 RBK753 Backhaul speeds do not seem to be to specifications (web portal says 1.2Gbps not 2.4)

Model: RBK753 Orbi AX4200. Composed of (1) RBR750 and (2) RBS750

The web portal statistics ( http://routerip/ -> Advanced tab -> "SHOW STATISTICS" -> new window popup) shows that the WLAN Backhaul speeds is 1201M. A screenshot of this has been provided below.

The technical specificals for this set of products, however, is 2400Mbps. That means, according to Orbi's statistics page, I am getting half of the promised speeds as my WLAN backhaul.

Other AX4200 owners - are you seeing the same thing? I have heard of at least one other owner having this problem. Is there any solution>

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 12.26.29 PM.png

Message 1 of 11
doghound
Star

Re: AX4200 RBK753 Backhaul speeds do not seem to be to specifications (web portal says 1.2Gbps not 2

Second attempt at uploading the photo: Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 12.26.29 PM.png

Message 2 of 11
doghound
Star

Re: AX4200 RBK753 Backhaul speeds do not seem to be to specifications (web portal says 1.2Gbps not 2

Third attempt at uploading the screencap image. Also an imgur link just in case: https://imgur.com/a/OaQ5IA9

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

If you're in optimal conditions, you will get full speeds. if you're to far away, if theres things obstructing signal, or if there's interference, you will get a lower backhaul link rate. That's all its displaying is the backhaul link rate. And just like any other wifi signal, its strength is based on many factors. 

Message 4 of 11
doghound
Star

These devices are within line of sight and tipping distance of each other. They should be getting the WLAN backhaul link rate of 2400Mbps. The fact that at that short of distance from router to one satellite doesn't give me the rates as defined on the technical specifications of the device is seriously concerning.

The backhaul link rate is equally as important as throughput to a single device.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

I agree that the wireless backhaul is just as important to device performance as the actual connection to your device. 

But again, many things impact it. Its not just how close it is. 
I have an arris mesh system(ax11000) with an AX4800mbps backhaul that's roughly 30ft from the base--satellite. and it usually only hits 1200mbps on the backhaul. Reason why is the rapid dropoff in connection speeds because of how 5ghz functions. 

Message 6 of 11
doghound
Star

I understand your point about the environment / interference impacts on the system's performance. But that has more to do with the Tx Rate between router and satellite. The problem as I see it is that the router is not even broadcasting up to 2400M as the available speed on the backhaul. Of course, I do not know a way to confirm this since Orbi / Netgear removed the telnet services from the RBR750. I can only go by what is in the statistics popout.

I did another test. As you can see in the attached photo, I put the devices right next to each other and I still do not see 2400M on the backhaul. At this distance, the signal strength for the backhaul would be perfect and the interference from the other 5 in-range, visible networks would be negligible.

If at short distances the device is not registering the backhaul at the tech specs of 2400M, then to me it seems something is wrong.

Message 7 of 11
doghound
Star

I guess I realize that, after typing that out, as far as I know, there is no way to see what the Tx Rate is between Router and Satellite. That is probably what I need (as would others). Especially in terms of figuring out optimal placement.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

I don't have any of the Orbi AX devices to compare with. 

@FURRYe38 or @CrimpOn might have better thoughts on the matter. 

Also, you'd be better off posting in the Orbi AX forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 9 of 11
doghound
Star

Oh, oops, Didn't notice the forum was incorrect. Good advice! I will post there. Thanks.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7