× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6 nighthawk 5ghz question

Calico1914
Follower

AX6 nighthawk 5ghz question

Hey everyone,
I just recently upgraded my router. I have an AX6 ax5200 Netgear nighthawk router. For some reason if I unplug my router and turn it back on, the 5ghz band doesn’t perform well. It will not connect to my ps4 at all. The band shows but cannot find internet connection. If I go to the nighthawk app and change the 5ghz password, it’ll start working fine again. Is this normal? I don’t want to do this every time. Funny thing is I bought a Rax20 before this and returned it because it did the same thing. Idk I’m at a loss right now.
Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AX6 nighthawk 5ghz question

Hello Calico1914,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
Dan32
Apprentice

What channel are you selecting?  If it's a DFS channel, it may take up to 10 minutes to determine if that channel is free from radar usage (and then switch to a non-DFS channel if found).  Happens every reboot, and to some extent periodically as well if on a DFS channel originally found to be clear.  If this is the case, not sure why changing the password would work unless it shortens the test, or by the time you try it, 10 minutes have passed.

Message 3 of 6
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Please insure you are not using the 160Mhz bandwidth as this create issues if devices do not support it.

this is found under WiFi settings, it's called mode.

Message 4 of 6
Dan32
Apprentice

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Please insure you are not using the 160Mhz bandwidth as this create issues if devices do not support it.

this is found under WiFi settings, it's called mode.

Right, forgot about that.  'Up to 4800 mbps' would be 160mhz, and i believe might be the default.  'Up to 2400 mbps' would be 80 mhz.  Note that 160mhz requires DFS channels at least in most areas, if not all.

Message 5 of 6
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Thanks for the head up on the default setting to 160Mhz. 
I would think it should default to 80Mhz but I've seen a few comments on several AX models now where this is an issue.

On my RAX120 when you select the mode it will have the HT number next to it yet on some routers including the XR1000 there is no reference to the bandwidth when you select the mode which is confusing users.

The problem is when first setup a user will run through the setup and select mode and in most cases will see the higher number and select that as there is no description in the UI to help guide them.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7