× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6000 RAX 80 print server absent!!!!!

AX6000 RAX 80 print server absent!!!!!

Why is there no print server feature on that router?

It is like if a ferrari was not provided with reverse gear!!

What is wrong with that picture????

Message 1 of 24
microchip8
Master

NETGEAR has no print server on any of its models, unless I'm mistaken

EDIT: are you talking about ReadyShare Print? That's the only I have on my R7800. It's available on the ReadyShare page. I don't know how the firmware of the RAX80 looks like

Message 2 of 24

My R8500 7000 6220 and DGND37000 have all that feature!!!

It is a nonsense for those devices at that price not to have this feature!!!

Like a Ferrari not having the reverse gear and the Lada Niva has this feature!!!

Message 3 of 24
microchip8
Master

You are Beta testing, basically. Rushing to get the latest and greatest before the product (especially its firmware) has matured put you in Beta land. I have a suspicion NETGEAR will add printer functionality after a while. Also note that both the RAX80 and 120 are based on a draft, not final specification and are missing a few features that are in the draft

Message 4 of 24

I am not actually beta testing.

This feature goes in the first place like cars are having Air Conditioning today!!!

At buplic release all router must be equiped with that thing!!

My 20 Y/O SMC modem router has that feature!

It is like XP having more fuctions than 10 !!!!!

Message 5 of 24
microchip8
Master

that's not how it works with draft-based routers that are pushed to market ASAP. It's the same with cars when they do tests before pushing to market. In router land, everyone wants to be the first when a new (draft) standard comes out, regardless of how well the firmware is done or whether all features are supported on hardware level

Message 6 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

Because it's not in the specifications, it's not implemented, not part of the offering, not part of the product - nothing to complain.

Remind me to write a complaint letter to Elon Musk that the Tesla X hasn't.any differential locks while my 4x4 Pinzgauer has three. 

Message 7 of 24

@schumaku wrote:

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

Because it's not in the specifications, it's not implemented, not part of the offering, not part of the product - nothing to complain.

Remind me to write a complaint letter to Elon Musk that the Tesla X hasn't.any differential locks while my 4x4 Pinzgauer has three. 

This is not on specifications, not implemented not an excuse, a 20 Y/O modem routeur is still able to do thet so, so it should be implemented directly to the standard specifications period.

I complain because it should go like the safety belts on a car!!!!

A good old cheated software VW is greener than a Tesla X!!!!!

The more tech you put in a car the less reliable it is!!!

Message 8 of 24
schumaku
Guru

The RedyShare USB print feature is almost obsolete and given up by Netgear. Look at the poor maintenance of the required code to run it from Windows or (even worse) MacOS. A nightmare on it's own.

Today's low cost printers have Ethernet ports or at least a WiFi client.

Time to abandon the incomplete and unreliable USB ReadyShare for crappy USB disks, too: A router isn't a NAS. Why you ask? Netgear failed to keep things up to speed - WSD (WS Discovery) is stil not implemenented, however it's the Windows 10 set industry standard. 

Back to the roots of what a router should be and have: Configureable firewall rules for Internet->LAN, provide services like a local DNS, ... and much more. This is what I want to see today on a consumer router. Not legacy features like NetBIOS discovery/name resolution or USB port sharing.

The more garbage features Netgear does put in a router the less reliable it is!!!

Proof enough - just look around these communities. It's safer for Netgear to go back to the roots, removing what's not required on a router.
Message 9 of 24
antinode
Guru

> Because it's not in the specifications, [...]

Which "the specifications"?  I seem to see it in the RAX80 Data
Sheet:

http://netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/RAX80.pdf

Sharing
      READYSHARE (R) USB ACCESS-Wirelessly access & share
      USB hard drive & printer via two (2) USB ports

Which part of "& printer" is unclear (or absent)?

> The RedyShare USB print feature is almost obsolete and given up by
> Netgear. [...]

I'm willing to stipulate that all Netgear USB-related file- and
print-sharing software is garbage, but that doesn't seem to stop Netgear
from advertising it.

Message 10 of 24

@antinode   you are right and it makes me really agry because this feature is a basic stuff which is included in obrands router portfolio!!!

@schumaku  Just order a brand new car and see what is your reaction if there is no AC and GPS even if it is in the contract!!!!

Message 11 of 24

angry and not agry!!!!

Message 12 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@antinode wrote:

> Because it's not in the specifications, [...]

Which "the specifications"?  I seem to see it in the RAX80 Data
Sheet:

Amazing - after not finding anything related in the marketing Web pages and the User Manual I must admit I've stopped searching and missed the Data Sheet - a resource I'm usually checking when it comes to the business products feature availability.

@antinode wrote:

I'm willing to stipulate that all Netgear USB-related file- and
print-sharing software is garbage, but that doesn't seem to stop Netgear
from advertising it.

Only a part of the data sheet information has made it to the marketing information - and the effective product. While I could life without, some users apparently can't.

@Altsai @ChristineT  @Christian_R any insight of what is (again not) going on with Netgear? Also ref. the WS Discovery feature which is key to the Windows 10 interoperability without having your customers breaking some legs and having to add legacy SMB 1.0/CIFS and NetBIOS features, lack of automatic local LAN DNS, the ability to configure a local LAN DNS servers overriding the router/ISP DNS - just to mention a few which are de-facto industry standards on many consumer and SOHO routers?

Hey I am the lst one not understanding @aalexandrebeta frustration - see my email where I have announced ceasing from helping Netgear consumer customers from last night - because Netgear does obviously fail sticking ahead of the competition - not just with latest technologies and a lot of bells and whistles in the marketing. 

Message 13 of 24

Netgear must go back to its roots, the respect of those who are feeding and helping them to improve their products!!!!

They must have hearing or reading problems!!!!

@schumaku  I agree with you!!!!

If they do not act to solve their management issues I will go elswhere where the grass is greener!!

Message 14 of 24
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for pointing out the error in the datasheet this will be corrected. As for Readyshare print, this is not a feature currently on the RAX80 but is something you can request over on the Idea exchange board that I posted below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 15 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Sorry Darren, this is a joke. There are users in the field using these ReadyShare USB Printer 8USB sharing) features - what reason exists to abandon the support on the leading edge Wi-Fi 6 product line? Yes, I understand (to much) about Kernels, drivers, software developemnet, crappy USB device handling on SoC garbage platforms, and much more.... If I coud get my fingers to a RAX80 and RAX120 I might be able to tell you. But for some reasons, critical community members are not supported and provied with beta test hardware in time. And no way, I won't buy any consumer stuff: Certainly not Wi-Fi 6 platforms known to lack of features which are key core features of Wi-Fi 6.

PS. FWIW the RAX120 Data Sheet does also list the same feature. Shame on the Netgear so called product "management". I had fired them years ago due to ignorance and lack of market knowledge and tech understanding - that's yet a new reason for one way tickets to Timbuktu.

Message 16 of 24

@DarrenM  you should be ashamed to present things like that. Netgear did not do any work at all into fulfilling their duty to provide some decent features on that product.

Your hardware is OK but the FW is a nightmare. Your FW remind me of Windows 10 a bloatware OS!!!!! 40GB of size for only the OS while on the process Linux is taking only 5!!!!!!!!

So shake the coconut tree a lot wake the nerds designing the FW and feed them when they did their work!!!!

I am thinking into migrating my device on Open-WRT because free products are better then paying products!!!!

If food stores acted like for example Netgear they would have close a long time ago!!!!!!!

RESPECT THE HAND IS FEEDING YOU PERIOD!!!!!

Message 17 of 24

@schumaku wrote:

Sorry Darren, this is a joke. There are users in the field using these ReadyShare USB Printer 8USB sharing) features - what reason exists to abandon the support on the leading edge Wi-Fi 6 product line? Yes, I understand (to much) about Kernels, drivers, software developemnet, crappy USB device handling on SoC garbage platforms, and much more.... If I coud get my fingers to a RAX80 and RAX120 I might be able to tell you. But for some reasons, critical community members are not supported and provied with beta test hardware in time. And no way, I won't buy any consumer stuff: Certainly not Wi-Fi 6 platforms known to lack of features which are key core features of Wi-Fi 6.

PS. FWIW the RAX120 Data Sheet does also list the same feature. Shame on the Netgear so called product "management". I had fired them years ago due to ignorance and lack of market knowledge and tech understanding - that's yet a new reason for one way tickets to Timbuktu.

I really totaly agree with you @schumaku   finally we should yellow vest ourselves!!!!

Message 18 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@Altsai @ChristineT  @Christian_R any update please?

Message 19 of 24

@schumaku   Thanks for the support because upstairs they must have an hearing issue!!!!

Message 20 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Reading and understanding seems to be very limited, too - while communication with the customers apparently is not desired...

Message 21 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Clarification (lack of the Edit ability in this newer community section): I don't talk of the three people linked.

Message 22 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@aalexandrebeta  while talking, it appears that WPA3 is missing on the RAX80, too - while it's available on the RAX120 (but coumbersome - either AX or WPA3).

Message 23 of 24

@schumaku   this is really a shame that they do not implement that feature because this goes with basic features of today's modern devices!!!!!

This is a must have.

Netgear's routers are in term of hardware are good the issue is the FW, who are really crappy!!!

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7