AX8 AX5700 (RAX75) Management Software freeze every day along with the AD7000 (R8900)
I bought this AX8 AX5700 (RAX75) (unfortunately, costco model is not even showing up in the dropdown...) router from Costco to replace my AD7000 (R8900)which also bought from Costco. I did the firmware updates as soon as it forced me to complete admin setup. I then set up the router the way I wanted. I then enabed the Access Control and noticed same problem I have encountered in R8900. The Device Names are not showing up for most of the devices. I then noticed, some of the device that are on the network aren't even showing up in the access control list and some of them show up in offline list. They are connected becasue I did not enabled the Access Control at the beginning, that means when i enabled the Access Control, they are all fall under the allowed list but not showing up in the Management software. In addition, when I try to customize the name either from N/A or Unknown, and save, at least 50% of the time, I get "router did not sent any data". Not sure what that means but my changes weren't saved. Furthermore, sometime I even get session timeout even though I was going between pages. So, is that mean Access Control page has its own weird session management???
That was first day story.
Next day, I wanted to setup R8900 as Wireless Bridge from the living room to connect my Media Center which includes, TV, AV Receiver, BluRay and sometime my Macbook for troubleshooting the bridged router. So, the moment I setup the Wireless Bridge, in few minutes, i noticed that I cannot even get to AX8 managment software from any sources like Browser, Nighthawk iOS app, Windows Genie app, Mac Genie app (Mac app is keep crashing...). The management software just freezes on me and the only way I can fix this is by powering if off and back on. It has been like a week now, and noticed, this became a every day routine for me. I also tried, resetting from software as well as hard reset from the reset button but none of it worked. To ruin my peace of mind more, I also noticed that my Wireless Bridge is also freezing up. The weird part is, from most of the devices, I can still connect to internet but not the AppleTV, it just jumps to 169, local ip address. So, have any of you noticed this behavior with AX8 does not matter whether it is RAX75 or RAX80, I assume they both have the same management software.... unless I am mistaken?
For R8900, I opened a few support tickets on Netgear website, the only response i got from them when I gave them the remote access to see my problem is, they do not have device to test the issue on their end! What a marvellous support, isn't it?
Oh! forgot to mention, for most of the time, the Access Control and Attached Devicesscreen only show first 20 devices. However, in the count it says, 26 devices are connected but trust me I have a few more than that on the network... and i certainly don't think Netgear QA and UAT has done any testing its full strenght of their Management Software even though they advertize it as 25+ devices... BIZARRE!!!
Just noticed on the AX8 Access control with 169 ip address and in allowed list with the non-existent mac address. Also, noticed when all the connected devices to this bridge showing up as this mac address instead of actual device mac address. I have R6300 and R7000 bridged wirelessly as well but they all work without this issue but this R8900 acts just like Netgear!
Allowed R8900 169.254.7.76 8C:3B:AD:B1:5D:AA
Hope, someone has some suggestions here, otherwise, i think it is now time for me to say goodbye netgear for ever...