× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX8 Anyone have their AX8 factory reset itslef loosing all settings?

gwbaker
Guide

AX8 Anyone have their AX8 factory reset itslef loosing all settings?

So I came home yesterday and all 40 of my devices had lost internet connectivity.  My netgear CM1100 lights showed connectivity, so did the AX8's lights ???

Upon checking I found that my AX8 router had reverted to its out of the box settings.  It was working fine, but all of my settings were gone.  Of course all of the logs were wiped too, so no possibility of researching what happened.  Unfortunately I had not backed up my settings so I had to spend about an hour setting everything up again.  This time I backed up as soon as I was finished.

Now I am worried about the reliability of my router.  I routinely rely on it when traveling and remotely connect back tot he home.  I cant have this happen again.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AX8 Anyone have their AX8 factory reset itslef loosing all settings?

Hi gwbaker - Thanks for posting this. Would you mind telling me what firmware version the router is on.

~Christian 

Message 2 of 11
gwbaker
Guide

Firmware Version V1.0.1.62_1.0.26

Message 3 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gwbaker, 

Thanks for confirming. I'd like for support to reach out to you for further investigation to see if it maybe other factors in your network that might have caused this. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 11
gwbaker
Guide

Okay.  I would have no idea where to begin, but if you do, please give it a shot.

If you are able to see a past support ticket that has been closed, you should note my odd work hours.  However, for the week of 8/19-23 I will be on leave from work and home during normal business hours.  Feel free to call when convenient.

Message 5 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello gwbaker, 

I certainly still have your availability schedule. I'll have support reach out to you.

~Christian 

Message 6 of 11
dbo_cowboy
Aspirant

I have had the same problem since I bought mine as well. Even after each firmware update, the router resets to factory settings everytime the power goes out (which is fairly often where I live). I have not tried backing up the settings yet, but if they are stored anywhere inside my router login or user login, I am afraid the they will be reset as well.

This has to be a common problem considering the number of posts I have seen about this and the fact that it does it everytime the power goes out.
Message 7 of 11
gwbaker
Guide

That is interesting...

As for backup, you simply download a config file to your pc or mac and when settings are lost, you upload it back to the router.

My issue might be related to a power loss.  I cannot say for sure, but my NAS showed "on UPS power" around the same time.  But the NAS shows the UPS message until I clear it and I am not sure how long the message was up.  I have the router, NAS and a few other things hooked up to a 1300VA (ish) UPS, but I am not very confident in the batteries.  I guess I need to check the battery status soon.

I will certainly keep an eye out for this power loss issue.  Can you repeat it?  Does it happen every time?  I will pull the plug a few times when I get home to test this possibility.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
dbo_cowboy
Aspirant

I used to have my old router on a UPS but this one is not. The AX8 has it happen everytime the power goes out. It happened today during a thunderstorm and it even happened once when I just moved it (without unplugging it). I am very confident I didn't hit press the on/off button and nothing came unhooked. It's as if the router has no on-board memory.
Message 9 of 11
gwbaker
Guide

Support reached out today, but was not able to do anything.

When the agent called I advised that I had manually restored all my settings and the router was presently working.  He said okay, thanks and closed the case.

Kinda what I figured.  My experience with line level tech support is their job is to get you back up and running.  They are usually not prepared or able to figure out why something happened, just to get it working again.  I understand their function and trying to figure out why something happened without having the router in their posession is nearly impossible.  I have pulled the plug once to see if a "power failure" was causing it.  The one time I tried it, it did not reset.  So, not sure what is going on and likely will not be able to figure it out.

I guess I will just have to wait and see and decide if the reliability is good enough to depend on.  Not sure yet.

Message 10 of 11
Wilks172
Aspirant

Hi

I run into this issue a lot when first setting mine up as I was trying to find a stable firmware. Every time I rebooted and tried to log in to the settings the router would start a new installation and loose my previous settings. Even the wireless SSID defaulted back to ‘Netgear’ from the one it was shipped with.

I had all but given up and was resigned to run it as an access point when I decided to perform a hard reset (hold reset switch in for 7 seconds plus on back of router) and ever since then it has worked fine. I still get the weekly disconnects but when it reboots it now remembers my settings and SSID at least.

I assume I had caused the issue by upgrading and then downgrading firmware.

Might be worth giving that ago and see if it stops it. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7