× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX8 Mesh system

jarrettbrown17
Aspirant

AX8 Mesh system

I read through some articles but could not find what I needed per say.  If i currently have an AX8 router for the main area of my home but access to the garage and downstairs area is spotty is there a good AP or another router I could use in combination with my existing AX8 to put together a "mesh" network that will handle 802.11AX???  I do have a CAT6 cable already run to the garage and back to the main router but it is currently not being used.  I understand that I can use almost any router out there as an access point but I really do not want the network names to be different.  I also looked into the Orbi but I just cannot justify the cost when I already have an almost unused AX8 and want to keep the wifi 6 capability if possible.  So in short I am looking for something or some way to keep my AX8 but run a "mesh, and wifi6" network to the garage/downstairs area.  Any thoughts or hardware suggestions are welcome and I appreciate the time and effort!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: AX8 Mesh system

@jarrettbrown17 wrote:

I read through some articles but could not find what I needed per say.  If i currently have an AX8 router for the main area of my home but access to the garage and downstairs area is spotty is there a good AP or another router I could use in combination with my existing AX8 to put together a "mesh" network that will handle 802.11AX???  I do have a CAT6 cable already run to the garage and back to the main router but it is currently not being used.  I understand that I can use almost any router out there as an access point but I really do not want the network names to be different.  I also looked into the Orbi but I just cannot justify the cost when I already have an almost unused AX8 and want to keep the wifi 6 capability if possible.  So in short I am looking for something or some way to keep my AX8 but run a "mesh, and wifi6" network to the garage/downstairs area.  Any thoughts or hardware suggestions are welcome and I appreciate the time and effort!

Sadly, you're in a catch-22. There is a AX extender (eax80) but as far as I know, it functions only in mesh setup when its using the wireless backhaul. When its wired in, it functions as an AP. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Problems-w-New-WiFi-6-Nighthawk-8AX-...

Benefit is that the AX standard has better concurrent usage built into it. So even running in wireless backhaul mode, you still retain a lot of the throughput and benefits to the AX spec. 

When i say you're caught in a catch-22 its because you've bought into the early AX spec. Devices are being streamlined because AX is so new. And they aren't cheap. The true mesh setup is orbi but you've already got an expensive AX router and you dont' want to waste $. 

If you run it (EAX80) in hardwired AP mode, you can set it up with the same ssid for both router and AP if you'd like. its not going to be as efficient as the Orbi's with roaming as they'll tend to be "sticky". But you'll retain the benefits of band steering  and the wired backhaul.

Or you can run it in wireless extender mode and lose the benefits of a dedicated wired backhaul but potentially still have great speeds. I'm unsure how well it'll function because a lot depends on distance/environment when it comes to wireless extenders. 

Message 2 of 4
jarrettbrown17
Aspirant

I understand the predicament unfortunately I think I may be between a rock and a hard place. Despite the fact I may lose some throughput and speed could I use a third party router like the TP LINK below and use the same ssid /pass /encryption and at least make it work or am I required to use a Netgear product to achieve the same thing? Again just trying to find a solution without literally selling my rifle just for internet capabilities 😬

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-Archer-AX3000-4-Stream-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi-6-Wireless-Router-Up-to-3-...
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You could make that work (make sure if its a router, its in AP mode). 

But your client devices aren't going to be as seamless as a mesh system. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7