× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX8 / RAX75 - No Tech Support for Costco Customers?

bayarnd
Star

AX8 / RAX75 - No Tech Support for Costco Customers?

I received my Netgear AX8 / RAX75-100NAS from Costco in late November. According to the info on the box and Netgear's product data sheet, it came with 1 year hardware warranty and 1 year complimentary technical support.

After the most recent firmware update to 1.0.2.76 several features did no longer work on my RAX75. I spent a few hours trying to get help from Netgear support - this was an interesting experience:

I opened support tickets on the Netgear Support website, describing the problems in detail. The tickets were promptly closed, with the comment “We really want to help but I really apologise that we are not able to help you out because your device is out of technical call , email and chat support .90 days of support period of this device is expired.” .. “And for the warranty that you get from the side of Costco , I request you from there side they need to help you out.”

I thought this was just a mistake, so I called the “24/7 dedicated technical support hotline for Costco Customers” as printed on the box and the support rep says she has never heard of Costco and I don’t get a year support. No one does. If I need help I would have to purchase a new ‘priority support agreement’.

I said I was looking right now at the Netgear website and on the data sheet for the Costco router model it confirms the “1 year complimentary technical support”. If she could look at this document on their own website with me, and explain what that means? No, she would not, that’s not her job.

Well, I would like to talk to a manager or supervisor then, maybe we can clear this up? No, the manager is busy, she could put me in a holding queue but it could take a long time, until he becomes available..

I am trying to discuss with Costco if they really provide support for the Netgear routers, and why Netgear does not honor the stated warranty terms..

That’s just my experience. Hopefully, you have better luck getting support from Netgear. But if you had a similar experience let us know, maybe we can do something about it together?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

@bayarnd wrote:

I received my Netgear AX8 / RAX75-100NAS from Costco in late November. According to the info on the box and Netgear's product data sheet, it came with 1 year hardware warranty and 1 year complimentary technical support.

Unless Costco has a special deal, free support is for 90 days after purchase.

@bayarnd wrote:

I thought this was just a mistake, so I called the “24/7 dedicated technical support hotline for Costco Customers” as printed on the box and the support rep says she has never heard of Costco and I don’t get a year support. No one does. If I need help I would have to purchase a new ‘priority support agreement’.

What does Costco say about this? Suppliers can make all sorts fo wild promises.

I hope that number went to Netgear. It doesn't usually post support numbers and there are too many cowboys out there that have nothing to do with Netgear and would love to take your money.

@bayarnd wrote:

I said I was looking right now at the Netgear website ....

A link to that would he interesting. One of the Netgear moderators might be able to pick it up.

@bayarnd wrote:

After the most recent firmware update to 1.0.2.76 several features did no longer work on my RAX75. I spent a few hours trying to get help from Netgear support - this was an interesting experience:

Still interested in getting it fixed? This place is free.

Message 2 of 17
bayarnd
Star

@michaelkenward 

Thank you for your comments, Michael. To answer your questions:

Unless Costco has a special deal... - Apparently Costco has a special deal, I believe the RAX75 is a version of the RAX80 only sold through Costco.

What does Costco say about this? Suppliers can make all sorts fo wild promises.. - Costco Concierge Service only confirmed Warranty and support for 1 year, a few months back.  I am now trying to get hold of them to see, if they can provide support instead of Netgear. I understand what you are saying, but Costco did not make any 'wild promises' - Netgear shipped the router in Netgear packaging stating 1 year of support and hotline number. The RAX75 data sheet on Netgear's website shows the same. I will attach screenshots.

I hope that number went to Netgear.. - yes, regular Netgear support answered my call. Employee # 42781114, she said.

A link to that would he interesting.. - I will try to add a link below. My screenshot shows Page 12.

Still interested in getting it fixed? This place is free. - I will post the two main issues here today. In the past, I had a good experience with AX8 problems and comments from other users here, and I appreciate your input.  That may work or not, but in any case if I purchase a router with complimentary tech support, Netgear support should help with problems, not trying to charge me extra, don't you agree?

7CAF6E9A-ACB0-410C-89CC-A6179AB5EEC7.jpegNetgear AX8 - AX5700 Router - 1 Year Support.png

Message 3 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bayarnd, 

I can assist with support following up on your case. Please send me a private message with your phone number and preferred contact time. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 17
bayarnd
Star

Update: I was able to confirm with Costco customer service and with Netgear support, that the RAX75 routers do come with 1 year of complimentary tech support.

Costco Concierge Service agents do not provide support for the routers, but they were very helpful communicating with Netgear on my behalf.

I experience several serious issues since I updated to the new firmware release 1.0.2.76, hopefully I can get this resolved with help from Netgear support..

Thanks everyone for your interest and input..

/bayarnd

Message 5 of 17
bayarnd
Star

Update June 8:

I just opened support ticket number 12. I have not had a working router for more than a month.

8 of my support tickets were closed without resolution, either because 'I am not eligible for support until I purchase an extra support contract' or without explanation at all. I had to call the reseller and they contacted netgear on my behalf to make sure I get support, of course I am eligible.

By now I spent over 12 hours on the phone with netgear support and Costco support and talked to many support techs. After phone advice, remote screen sharing, resets, reinstalls and updates to 3 newer firmware versions (.70 .76 and .88) and updating creen shots, log files etc. there is ZERO PROGRESS. Netgear support got frustrated, confirmed that the newer firmware releases do not work, and advised me to downgrade again to .64 and .... wait.

This is without question the most frustrating support I have experienced.

At this time, I cannot even sell my used Netgear router and purchase a different product - how can I tell a craigslist buyer this router works fine? It looks like I will have to accept a 250$ loss. But at least, Costco customer service will hear a very serious complaint from me.

/bayarnd

Message 6 of 17
bayarnd
Star

Update June 9: once again, Netgear "Support" has closed my ticket with the remark: "..your device is no longer eligible for the 90 days free technical software support assistance from a support expert."

I am beginning to think, this is not a mistake or incompetent management but rather a profitable extortion scheme forcing people to pay for tech support if they need help, even though the customer has already paid for "1 year complimentary tech support". 

Message 7 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bayarnd, 

Thanks for the update. According to our records, your case # 42815839 has been escalated to our engineering team for further investigation. Please refer to that case number for further updates. 

Christian 

Message 8 of 17
bayarnd
Star

@Christian_R 

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply..

# 42815839 is a different problem (no admin login access) and has been sent to the engineering team a week ago (June 4), no result so far.

I was told by 2nd tier support that I would need to open a different ticket for my problems with USB disks / Readyshare errors, and I did that.

On June 9 I opened case #42873707 (Readyshare network folders deleted after every reboot).

That ticket was CLOSED the next day with the comment, that my tech support has expired after 90 days.

In response I opened case

#42882715 - You closed my support ticket Case #42873707 even though I have year tech support

That ticket was also closed, today.

I have not had a correctly working router for 4 weeks now. When I call support, I am told that I have to purchase a tech support contract if I need help. When I insist that I have purchased the router with 1 year tech support through Costco, I am disconnected.

I have called the "24/7 Dedicated Technical Support for Costco Customers" today,  just 5 minutes ago, and a tape message announced that my tech support has expired after 90 days and 'our experts are no longer available to you'.

You make it sound like I do something wrong? So - what is it?

Best regards

bayarnd

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bayarnd, 

I would recommend that you continue to work with our support/engineering team regarding your issue with the admin login access. Once the issue has been addressed, support should follow up with your concern surrounding Readyshare. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 10 of 17
Stadtjunge
Aspirant

I’m looking at the box now. It only comes with 90 days.
Message 11 of 17
bayarnd
Star

@Stadtjunge wrote:
I’m looking at the box now. It only comes with 90 days.

Are you sure you bought your router at Costco?
The Costco Netgear routers I have seen,  all show one year tech support on the Box and the product sheet (see attached photo). Costco Customer Service confirmed that their Netgear products have 1 year support.

/bayarnd

5FEF63D4-1A73-42BB-918C-B21E0A0DAB96.jpeg

Message 12 of 17
Stadtjunge
Aspirant

Bought it yesterday. Pretty sure it was Costco. Lol

Would a picture of the box help?
Message 13 of 17
bayarnd
Star

@Stadtjunge 

Sorry, if you got a bad deal..

I was at the local Costco here in Tampa today, so I stopped at the service desk and asked about this. They said they are not aware of any change in the warranty, we went and looked at the Netgear routers on the shelf and the boxes all show 1 year free tech support (I took the photo below..)

BB137E03-21C2-4E3F-8135-CE232537B46E.jpeg

Message 14 of 17
Stadtjunge
Aspirant

Ah dang. Sounds like I must have. The box I have in front of me says 90 days.

Regardless, I’m returning it as it’s not working as expected
Message 15 of 17
Dsoliman
Aspirant

I am having the same exact issue as you are and am currently in the works of making this a case ,  accountability needs be taken by Netgear,  

Message 16 of 17
Freeds0000
Aspirant

I have the same problem. This is a Netgear issue. It is impossible to get to customer service.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7