× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX8 (RAX75) ext. USB Disks work fine, but get disconnected after a while.. anyone else?

bayarnd
Star

AX8 (RAX75) ext. USB Disks work fine, but get disconnected after a while.. anyone else?

Hello everyone..

My 10 days-old AX8 works pretty well. I connected a variety of hardwired and wireless devices (cameras, smart plugs, ipad and iPhone, Windows PC, WD Cloud NAS etc), coverage and speed are fine, my PC (Intel AX200)  shows a 2.4 Gbps connection even on the patio - not bad!

But I have an issue with the two connected WD MyBook disks: when the router starts it recognizes and connects both disks, they are shared in the network, i can up/download files fine and even streaming HD video from the external disk to my iPad client, works well. Peachy..

But after a while (sometimes 40 minutes, sometimes several hours) both disks are gone. The router still shows the ReadyShare status 'ready', but no shared disks are found. No log file entry either.

When i reboot the router, the disks are connected again and work great for a while, until they are gone again. Always both are lost at the same time.

I talked and trouble-shooted twice with (a surprisingly responsive) Netgear support, we manually flashed the most current firmware again, restarted everything etc, but no matter what we tried, after a while the USB disks both disappear.

Support concluded a hardware problem and recommended return / exchange. I can do that.

I wonder, if anyone else here had a similar experience?

Any suggestions are welcome. Apologies for my long-winded description..

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Barone23
Initiate

Re: AX8 (RAX75) ext. USB Disks work fine, but get disconnected after a while.. anyone else?

Hey,

I'm also having the same issue. Mine had been working fine for several months and then i updated it last night to the firmware version ending in 30. Then i began having the same issue you are having. Disk stays connected for what feels like 25 minutes and then goes "offline" i just rolled back to firmware ending in _24 to see if that will remedy the issue. This was the firmware i was using previously and it looks like my devices (PC, Nvidia Shield) reconnected to it much quicker. Either that or I'm going crazy looking this stuff up. if you found a solution let me know. Good luck.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7