× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500) - How many devices?

mbarnett64
Aspirant

AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500) - How many devices?

I have a AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500).  I have about 35-40 Smart Light Switches (2.4 GHz) plus other devices like RIng Doorbell, Echo Dots and mobile devices so probably 60 in total but the issue comes long before I get to that number

As I add devices I get to the point that I cannot get another IP addess. 

Currently the Nighthawk App shows 26 devices connected (two wired, two 5GHz,twenty-two 2.4GHz). I had more connected (I think I was at 32) but I reset some devices to remove them. My phone will not connection to 2.4., 5 or 6 wireless connection now..

Sidenote: Can not Pause devices on Nighthawk app or under Access Control on the router interface.  Firmware V1.0.7.68_2.0.35

NETGEAR Concierge Expert says 60 devices. I have been told 32 devices per band but I am under that 32 devices for 2.4 GHz.
Router descriptions says

With new WiFi 6E technology, you can enjoy ultra-fast speeds, smooth streaming, and lower latency for 4K/8K streaming, AR/VR gaming, and video conferencing. Get combined speeds of up to 10.8Gbps and a powerful 1.8GHz quad-core processor that delivers fast and reliable connections for up to 60 devices across 2,500 sq. ft

Ideas? 

Would an Access Point work?   I tried to turn old WNDR3700 into one but it would not broadcast the 2.4 SSID (Yes, it was enabled and tried to connect to it if it was truely hidden)

Message 1 of 3
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500) - How many devices?

For me, the device count recommendations seem pretty arbitrary, especially since I have seen their older and far lower end WiFi routers from the 802.11n days handle more than 64 clients. While WiFi does experience increased overhead as the number of clients increase, though that depends on how many clients are active and not idling on the WiFi network.

Message 2 of 3
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500) - How many devices?

Wanted to also add that spreading a large number of devices across more than one AP will help reduce overhead when lots of devices are active at the sametime, thus it is good even if the hardware can handle it on one device.

Though for your issue, I wonder if there could be some kind of bug in DHCP if it is not assigning IPs after a certain point.
In such a case, what happens if you manually specify an IP address for the device?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7