× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control device list does not show customer-configured Device Name

amonynuts
Apprentice

Access Control device list does not show customer-configured Device Name

Nighthawk Router RAX45-100NAS AX4300 AX6, Firmware V1.0.10.110_2.0.75.  Chrome browser.

In web-browser-based advanced configuration (routerlogin.net), the Access Control device list does not show customer-configured Device Name of connected devices after some time elapses. Note that the customer-configured device names are listed correctly in the "list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network", and on the Administration->Attached Devices page.  Also, if any connected device in the Access Control list is edited, the device name appears correctly on the edit page and can be saved, at which point it appears --temporarily-- in the Access Control connected devices list (later all the names disappear, perhaps after DHCP address refresh, TBD).

It would be convenient to be able to see the Device Names of connected devices in the Access Control list.

Message 1 of 6
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: Access Control device list does not show customer-configured Device Name

@amonynuts 

Double check the "user defined" device names you provided and insure that none have an extra space (or two) at the end.

This has been seen to mess up the device list in the access control list.

Message 2 of 6
amonynuts
Apprentice

@TC_in_Montana 

Thank you for your suggestion.  I did not have any "trailing" spaces in my user-defined device names, but I did have spaces in between words in my device names.  After removing all the spaces (replacing some with hyphens and underscores), I have not seen this issue return for a few days.  (Fingers crossed...)

I guess I had assumed that spaces were permissible in device names since there were no complaints when I entered them, but that seemingly causes problems displaying the access control connected-devices list.

Message 3 of 6
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@amonynuts 

Glad it resolved the problem.

Please make sure to mark the solution as accepted so that others can see what was done in case they run into the same issue.

Message 4 of 6
amonynuts
Apprentice

Unfortunately, all of the customized device names in my Access Control List returned to default values after adding one new device (with no spaces in the device name) and rebooting the router.  Thank you for the suggestion, but it seems that removing all the space characters does not resolve this firmware issue.

Message 5 of 6
foobz
Aspirant

I'm having this exact same issue on my router as well. Went through and updated all device names only for them to revert after a power cycle. Displayed name doesn't even match the device name after checking the box and hitting edit.
My Router: Nighthawk RAX50
Firmware Version V1.0.10.110_2.0.75
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7