× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Controls Changes not Working

ZI_95
Aspirant

Access Controls Changes not Working

I recently purchased a Nighthawk AX4: RAX35, not RAX40 (it seems that my model is not even available in the model recommeded section) router this past black friday. I enabled Access Controls in an attempt to block/limit internent access for certain devices. The problem I am having is that none of my changes are sticking. I will go and block a device, then 5 seconds later it gets unblock. I try to change a device name and once again it resets. Whats interesting is that I was able to enable it but now when I even tried disabling access control, but it will not disable. Whenever I make my changes I make sure to hit apply, but to no avail.  My firmware is also up to date Firmware Version V1.0.3.62_1.0.1. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ZI_95, 

Thanks for reporting the issue you're experiencing. I have sent you a message requesting for more info. Please respond at your earliest convenience. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 22
IGK
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the same issue. Did they tell you how to fix it?

Message 3 of 22
ZI_95
Aspirant

So sorry, but I returned it before they could get back to me.

Message 4 of 22
IGK
Tutor
Tutor

RAX35. Netgear support. I was on hold for more than 1.5 hours. Case number 42166452. Please call me ASAP before I return the product.

Message 5 of 22

For - Nighthawk AX4: RAX35

Having same issue.

When trying to change Access Control (Security > Access Control) radio button to "Block all new devices from connecting" and attempting to click the "Apply" button to enable this change it will not save which basically makes the function unavailable.

I can see that "Allow all new devices to connect" is the recommended default but I've always been able to use this option on prior models.

Was hoping this would be resolved by now. I have also had my router since around the middle of December 2019.

Please advise.

Message 6 of 22
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello anetworkinguser, 

Welcome to the community! Have you gotten a chance to contact our Support Team about this? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 7 of 22

I have placed a ticket just now. Will update with a solution upon receipt

Message 8 of 22
IGK
Tutor
Tutor

I wonder why I didn't get a response.

Message 9 of 22
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@IGK - Has support followed up on your case? If not, please send me a private message with your contact info and a preferred contact time and I can forward it to support. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 10 of 22

Update Support contacted me (I emailed them through their support site) and suggested I flash the firmware (they were originally suspicious that I may have put the router in AP mode otherwise which I did not). I have the downtime with the fewest users this afternoon and if it works I will update the solution here. Otherwise I will continue with support until it is resolved and will update. I'm a security minded user and I think others with this issue would appreciate the knowledge potentially. I'm skeptical it is a firmware issue specifically as I have the most updated firmware but we'll see.

Message 11 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Confirmed this firmware is bugged
Pressing block it just refreshes right back to allow Netgear please fix
Message 12 of 22

Still waiting for a response.

Updated firmware as suggested by support but solution was not successful.

Message 13 of 22

After multiple back and forths and muliple firmware updates and/or flashing and resetting Netgear is replacing my router.

I just sent the original via UPS and hopefully have a new one by the beginning of the week next week. I'm concerned that once I get the new one I'll have the same problem if others are experiencing this issue but I'm hoping not...

Not sure if this helps but just wanted to update. I'm thankful that Netgear worked with me. I saw a lot of odd hour responses (like 1 to 3AM on the weekends) but maybe that is because of differing times zones. Thankfully I have the patience!

Message 14 of 22

Last Update:

Been using the replacement for some time now.

I will say that the function in question still struggled to operate correctly (sometimes it behaved exactly the same as before on the original router and sometimes it will actually change and be applied after several attempts which I find odd...). Definitely seems to be just a firmware issue.

I realize this isn't the most crucial component of this device however it is an important one for security purposes.

I would guess if I had this issue that others would as well (having a similar issue on the same model twice) but they DID also push a firmware update recenty so I'm hoping that helps others and possibly improved toward what I saw. I was able to get this setting to stick and I'm hoping it continues to work.

I also realize that this is one of the first affordable Wifi 6 models so I'm sure Netgear is likely to tweak things going forward. Again, thankful I was able to get the replacement despite it being a long process; I realize no company really wants to go through such a process ideally. Thanks all!

Message 15 of 22
kvik369
Guide

Has anyone resolved this without replacing the router?

Message 16 of 22
fatraw1976
Aspirant

This Router is trash. My 2.4 wifi broadcasts even when everything says its off sent it back to netgear and recieved a new one had it 2 days and the same thing is happening with the new one. Cut wifi off on router all lights say off. look in router login it says wifi is off but the 2.4 is alive and well. Play xbox hardwired  and dont want any wifi going. Ive been a netgear customer for years but this has made me consider other companies. Called customer service and they dont have a clue. Really regret this purchase

Message 17 of 22
kvik369
Guide

I reinstalled the router to factory settings and started from scratch So far everything is working

Message 18 of 22
hoyoscami1986
Aspirant

How do you fix the firmware if that's the problem

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 19 of 22
hyndsyte
Aspirant

Same issue RAX35. Access control not working or blocking anything at all. I reformatted the router it it worked for awile. I have the latest firmware V1.0.3.62_1.0.1, updated through the router itself. Access Control is the most imortant part of the router for me. The problem has been an issue with every firmware since purchase. It doesn't act up at first. Given time it stops working.

Message 20 of 22
hyndsyte
Aspirant

With the fact that you can't find this router online. The RAX40 always comes up. Unless you registered the RAX35 with Netgear. You can't even find it listed on the netgear site. It seems this was a "BLACK FRIDAY" special. Meaning that we will likely never get a fix for this, as Netgear doesn't seem to support this model anymore. It's a shame I spent money on faulty product. I'll just have to save up for the RAX40 I guess. Even if I'm hesitant to give more money to them. This IS the first issue I've had with a Netgear product. Technically the router works, just doesn't restrict anything with Access Control. Even saying it blocks by default. A new devices wasn't denied access.

Message 21 of 22

It looks like an update to the firmware was recently pushed and, at least on my end, the ability to actually use Access Control seems to be working! If so that is awesome. If it shows otherwise I'll update but if this is actually working now I'm thankful. Just wish it hadn't taken so long to address

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7