× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Accessing DLNA RAX80

darkjfman
Tutor

Accessing DLNA RAX80

I previously had R7000, due to its limitations I decided to upgrade to the RAX80. One of the issues I'm having is I'm losing access to shared storage from what seems after idle use.

With the R7000, I am able to go access the same HDD without any issues and pretty regularly, now that I switched to the RAX80, the HDD is only recognized occasionally. The only possible solution I could think of is that the HDD goes idle and any devices, TV, PS4, or XBOX can no longer see it. An example of this last night I couldn't access the HDD through any of my devices, so I decided to access it through my phone using "File Commander" app which seems to recognize it most often than not, I also logged in to the router to verify if everything is still good. One of those commands must have "woke" up the HDD and all of the sudden all the devices see the HDD. This morning when I woke up, the HDD is no longer visible on any of my devices, even after accessing it through the app I mentioned before.

Is this a known issue or has anyone experienced anything else like this? I'm running firmware version V1.0.1.70_1.0.30. The only major difference between my setup of the R7000 and RAX80 is that I have Smart Connect enabled.

Additional information, the main TV is connected on the 2.4 GHZ so was my phone but the PS4 is wired. The only reason I believe I'm able to view it on my phone is that I'm able to scan for connected devices. Nothing like this with the R7000. Let me know what other information you need.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi darkjfman, 

Just curious, have you tried reverting back to the previous firmware version to see if the issue persists? 

Christian 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi darkjfman, 

Just curious, have you tried reverting back to the previous firmware version to see if the issue persists? 

Christian 

Message 2 of 7
darkjfman
Tutor

I have not reverted back. According to support they suggested flashing the router then doing a factory reset, I did all that after backing up my settings. I performed the action on Wednesday 1/15, everyday since then I was able to access it until this morning. Now when I do access it, the playback video is very rough. The audio is always there, however, the video slows down and at some point just freezes on a single screen with the audio still playing. It seems it's trying to buffer, restarting the movie does fix the issue momentarily but then it starts again.

I'll attempt to revert back one version and report back. Do I need to reset it or it would work the same by just reverting?

Message 3 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello darkjfman, 

Thanks for getting back. It is not required but if you do revert to a previous version it'd be great if you could report back. I do recommend that you please continue to work with our Support Team on your issue. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 7
darkjfman
Tutor

I'll go ahead and do that. I reverted back yesterday 1/19, as I mentioned it takes a while to see if it works or not, since typically I noticed that disconnection after a long idle from the HDD. I'll report back in the next day or so and see if I'm still able to get a connection.

Message 5 of 7
darkjfman
Tutor

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi darkjfman, 

Christian 

Reverting back to the previous firmware, 1.0.1.64, does solve the problem. I'm not sure if you're able to forward this to the Tech team, my ticket was closed and I assume they are aware that reverting solved the issue but can't know for sure. Hopefully it'll be fixed in future releases.

Message 6 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

darkjfman,

Thanks for reporting back! I'll be sure to let the team know. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7