× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Activate on Xfinity Internet with CM1150V

Jrtyrrell
Tutor

Activate on Xfinity Internet with CM1150V

I’m tired of paying $14 per month for rental of my cable modem and router. I have the AX12 in access point mode and is connected via Ethernet to the XFi gateway. I tried installing the CM1150V, activating my service and then connected port 1 to AX12 internet port. After 45 minutes the internet LED was blinking and never connected to the internet. Any ideas? The WiFi SSID on the XFi gateway is different than the SSID on the X12.

I’m wondering if I need to change from access point mode to router mode prior to starting with the activation of the CM1150V.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The XFi gateway has too much depth to fit into my electrical panel in the basement, the saving grace of the CM1150V.  XFi gateway is D3.1, the cable modem/router I had from Comcast before was 4 port and all 4 ports worked,-----Thats because it was a combo device. Meaning it had a modem and a router integrated. The CM1150V doesn't have an integrated router.   but was only D3.0.  My internet speed is 600Mbs download so I need a D3.1 modem.

If only 1 port of the CM1150V works, what's the point of having 4 ports? ---Whole purpose is for business lines that are allowed multiple public IP address, the rare ISP that allows consumer lines to have more than 1 public ip address (rare), or for port aggregation on ports 1-2.  i wouldn't recommend port aggregation currently as its been a bit flaky. Most consumer's aren't going to need the CM1150v unless they have gigabit and need voice. Same as most consumer don't need the 4x ports on the CM1200. We run into this a lot

So again, unless you're using port aggregation, only port 1 is useful for most people. 

so go:

CM1150V--------> AX12 (port 1)------->Devices and switch

don't use the other 3 ports on the CM1150V unless you plan on using wan port aggregation. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The cm1150v is a modem only device. so yes your AX12 will need to be in router modem

You'll also need comcast to activate the modem. Some devices have the auto activate feature.

https://kb.netgear.com/24939/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Router-Online-Activation-with-Comcast-Xfinity-servi...

If it doesn't work to activate, you can call in to activate.

If that doesn't work, let us know. 

I'd also avoid link aggregation at the current time as its been a bit buggy. 

Message 2 of 9
Jrtyrrell
Tutor

plemans - that worked, I changed to router mode and worked with the XFi Gateway. 

Step 2 - I had to call Comcast to get the CM1150V activated so they could see it. 

However, only devices that can connect to the internet are the devices are connected to the CM1150V.  Wireless devices can't connect to the internet, they did with the XFi gateway.  Nor can my latop that is connected to an ethernet port on Nighthawk AX12 connect to the internet.

The ethernet cable connected to port 1 on the CM1150V is connected to Internet port on Nighthawk.

What am I missing to get this to work?  Frustrating....

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Jrtyrrell wrote:

plemans - that worked, I changed to router mode and worked with the XFi Gateway. 

Step 2 - I had to call Comcast to get the CM1150V activated so they could see it. 

However, only devices that can connect to the internet are the devices are connected to the CM1150V.  Wireless devices can't connect to the internet, they did with the XFi gateway.  Nor can my latop that is connected to an ethernet port on Nighthawk AX12 connect to the internet.

The ethernet cable connected to port 1 on the CM1150V is connected to Internet port on Nighthawk.

What am I missing to get this to work?  Frustrating....

Are you using both the Xfi gateway and the AX12?

How exactly do you have it setup? I'll lay out an example for clarity that *should* have everything working

CM1150v------>Xfi gateway (in router mode)------->AX12 (in AP mode)

CM1150v------>AX12 (in router mode)------->Xfi gateway (in AP mode).

Or if you're only using 1 device

CM1150v------>AX12 (router mode)

CM1150v------>Xfi device

any time you switch whats connected to the CM1150v, make sure to reboot it and the device connecting to it. It needs to reboot to reassign the public ip address. 

I've never used the xfi gateway so I'm unsure of its modes/functions. 

I do know the CM1150v has multiple ports but with xfinity, basically only port 1 works. Make sure you don't use the other ports unless you're using link aggregation. And that still only works for 1 device. 

Message 4 of 9
Jrtyrrell
Tutor

Here's the setup I had before and everything was working.

XFi gateway -----> port 1 - AX12 (router mode), port 2 - 8-port gigabit ethernet witch that connected devices to the rest of house

Wireless devices would connect to the SSID on the AX12.

After activating CM1150V with Comcast

CM1150V -----> port 1 - AX12 (router mode), port 2 - office computer, port 3 - apple TV, port 4 - 8-port gigabit ethernet witch that connected devices to the rest of house

AX12 shows not connected to the internet; Apple TV not connected to the internet, computer isn't working.  May have mis-labeled the ethernet cables in the basement.

The XFi gateway has too much depth to fit into my electrical panel in the basement, the saving grace of the CM1150V.  XFi gateway is D3.1, the cable modem/router I had from Comcast before was 4 port and all 4 ports worked, but was only D3.0.  My internet speed is 600Mbs download so I need a D3.1 modem.

If only 1 port of the CM1150V works, what's the point of having 4 ports? 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

The XFi gateway has too much depth to fit into my electrical panel in the basement, the saving grace of the CM1150V.  XFi gateway is D3.1, the cable modem/router I had from Comcast before was 4 port and all 4 ports worked,-----Thats because it was a combo device. Meaning it had a modem and a router integrated. The CM1150V doesn't have an integrated router.   but was only D3.0.  My internet speed is 600Mbs download so I need a D3.1 modem.

If only 1 port of the CM1150V works, what's the point of having 4 ports? ---Whole purpose is for business lines that are allowed multiple public IP address, the rare ISP that allows consumer lines to have more than 1 public ip address (rare), or for port aggregation on ports 1-2.  i wouldn't recommend port aggregation currently as its been a bit flaky. Most consumer's aren't going to need the CM1150v unless they have gigabit and need voice. Same as most consumer don't need the 4x ports on the CM1200. We run into this a lot

So again, unless you're using port aggregation, only port 1 is useful for most people. 

so go:

CM1150V--------> AX12 (port 1)------->Devices and switch

don't use the other 3 ports on the CM1150V unless you plan on using wan port aggregation. 

Message 6 of 9
Jrtyrrell
Tutor

Thanks, sounds like the CM1150V won't meet my needs.  Problem is all my ethernet cables are home-runned to the basement and where I have the CM1150V.  The AX`12 is located on the office of the 1st floor of the house.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Any chance there's coax ran to where the router is? You could move the modem. 

Are you using the telephone part of it?

The only current modem/router combo devices from netgear that hit gigabit are the C7800 and the CAX80 (not released yet). But neither have the telephone component. 

Message 8 of 9
Jrtyrrell
Tutor

No coax near the AX 12.  Yes, I'm one of the few people that still has voice.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7