× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding EAX80 mesh extender to CAX80?

aalin
Aspirant

Adding EAX80 mesh extender to CAX80?

We have a 3 story house, that is pretty long. Our CAX80 is upstairs at the back of the house. The CAX80 works pretty well without anything else except in one dead spot in the basement, at the front of the house. We have 1G plan, and we’re getting 500 over wifi close by and then 200-300 one floor down, and 100 in the basement directly below the router.

I am thinking of getting the EAX80 to put in our basement to improve the speed down there and get rid of the dead spot. It would also be a plus to be able to hardwire in from there. Would this combo work well for what we have going on or should I be looking into more robust mesh systems?
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Adding EAX80 mesh extender to CAX80?

No the CAX80 + EAX80 should be a pretty solid combination. 

I usually tell people to move to a full mesh system when they're needing more than 1 extender. but from the sound of it, 1 should be fine for you. 

Message 2 of 4
sutphinwb
Aspirant

Can (not should) I place the unit (EAX80) in an area within the problem spot?  Will the unit improve the overall throughput of the problem area (supposedly by using a dedicated channel)?  I'd of course like to put the EAX80 within a strong signal area, but I don't know if that's going to be possible,  

Yes I would have done a mesh originally but I wasn't fully aware of all the problems we'd be moving into.  With an additional $250, I'm making a significate invest here.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@sutphinwb wrote:

Can (not should) I place the unit (EAX80) in an area within the problem spot? ---I don't usually advice putting it right where the problem location is because the extender still needs a signal to pickup and rebroadcast. Its usually best midway between the router/problem spot. But try different areas. Sometimes its things in the walls like hvac that cause the issue and lateral moves can help more than bringing it closer/further away. With any extender, I recommend trying different locations. 

Will the unit improve the overall throughput of the problem area (supposedly by using a dedicated channel)? ---the dual bands dont' have a dedicated backhaul channel. The tribands do but I haven't seen an AX triband unit yet. But the EAX80 is the best AX extender you can get. Because of its wider bandwidth potential with AX, its still going to be pretty high throughput.  I'd of course like to put the EAX80 within a strong signal area, but I don't know if that's going to be possible,  ---again, try different area's and locations. You might be surprised at what works best. 

Yes I would have done a mesh originally but I wasn't fully aware of all the problems we'd be moving into.  With an additional $250, I'm making a significate invest here.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7