× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding router to office network so I have wifi in my house

OffDWall
Tutor

Adding router to office network so I have wifi in my house

I have a home office located about 150 feet behind my house. When we upgraded to a Cable mode they installed everything in the office and ran a single line to the house, where I used an old Netgear router and some switches to send the signal to 12 wired devices. The office uses both wired and wifi just fine. Lightning last week fried part of my router so I decided to replace it with something that allowed me to use wifi in my house, without conflicting with the signal from the office, so I bought a Nighthawk AX4300 because of it's speed. Connecting this in the house has not been as easy. I should note that the wifi signal from the office is just weak enough not to be stable throughout the house but is strong enough to create issues when it isn't used. Running the install and following the videos only show how to install if it is the only router on the network but I need the option of using it as a 2nd router to handle the house and the wifi in the house, without causing conflicts with the office.  This exceeds my knowledge, please help. Do I plug the line coming in from the office to the yellow port on the router, or does it just act like a switch and goes into any of the regular ports? How do I get the wifi to work?

Thanks for your help,

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
OffDWall
Tutor

Re: Adding router to office network so I have wifi in my house

I finally called tech suppport. It turns out my router had been previously configured (a return?) and they needed to do a complete reset. After that it configured itself and works perfectly now.`

Thanks to all of you that replied!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

So first lets setup how you have your office laid out. 

Look at my signature and go over you modem, routers, switches, etc. 

Reason I say this is from youreading your description, I'm not sure if you have other routers running as well or not. 

If you're using more than 1 router, the 2nd one would be in access point mode. 

You should be able to name the 2nd router with a different ssid and user a different wireless channel to prevent intererence. 

Message 2 of 5
OffDWall
Tutor

NOTE: This is NOT an RAX40, this is a RAX45 6 stream wifi router (aka AX4300), which is not listed here.

The cable enters and goes to the cable model, then feeds into a router from the cable company. It appears to be their own oem from China, and this one supplies wifi in the office. Then I have a single line going from this router to the house, where the wifi signal is not strong enough, and I have 4 wired computers connected, along with the TV's using a few switches, but everything is downstream from the router and was working fine before. I bough the new router to provide a better signal for the house because my old one was 7=9 years old. The wired portion works but the wifi does not. Some have mentioned the configuration should be set at "access point mode" but, because there is no documentation, I was just following the normal setup (which died and didn't work).

If it is, in fact, that I need to use the "access point mode" is there anywhere I can find a A-B-C explaination or something easy to follow?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
OffDWall
Tutor

I finally called tech suppport. It turns out my router had been previously configured (a return?) and they needed to do a complete reset. After that it configured itself and works perfectly now.`

Thanks to all of you that replied!

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

glad you got it figured out!

Sorry i didn't get back to you before you figured it out, jobs are kind of buzz kills on spending time on here 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7