Reply

Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

coolamundo
Aspirant

Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

I'm trying to hook up my new router. I go through the process as outlined:

  • restart modem
  • plug into router
  • access Nighthawk app (via Android app)
  • When I go through the steps in the app, it asks me to sign into the network. 
  • I sign in (tried manual and QR code) and then it connects but says "tap here to sign into network"
  • When I tap, it goes to an error page and I can't access the router to finish setting up.

See image 1 (this shows that the network is there. I tried both Netgear networks and the same issue)

See image 2 (this is what I see when I tap here to sign in)

 

I've tried it on two different Android phones and the app behaves the same way. I did install on an iPhone and the iOS app was able to connect and set up the router. However, even after setting up the Android app wouldn't work and I couldn't even use the wifi. 

 

I shared a QR code for the wifi from iOS and accessed that with the Android phone and it let me logon and also access the Nighthawk app.

 

 

 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

The best way to set things up is usually with browser access to the graphical user interface (GUI).

 


@coolamundo wrote:

I'm trying to hook up my new router. I go through the process as outlined:

  • restart modem
  • plug into router

 


That's not right.

 

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

  • Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
coolamundo
Aspirant

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

Thanks for the reply.

 

I followed the Netgeat instructions verbatim. The only holdup was that the Android app didn't work. For whatever reason, trying to login flipped to some generic Android screen with an error message. Ended up trying it on three different Android phones and they all had the same issue. That's why I suspect there's an issue with the Nighthawk app itself.

 

Fortunately I was able to test it on the wife's iPhone and the app works as expected and the router is setup and is working as it should.

 

Even after the network was setup I couldn't log into the network on any Android device that had the app installed. However, using the share QR code from the iPhone, the login worked and then the app started working. Not sure why, but just wanted to document this for someone else who maybe running into the same issue.

 

 

Message 3 of 10

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login


@coolamundo wrote:

That's why I suspect there's an issue with the Nighthawk app itself.

 

 


Maybe,  but there can be other reasons. If it were a universal issue, we should have heard about it here.

 

What is the modem in front of this router?

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 10
PimpDiggler
Guide

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

192.168.1.1/BRS_index.htm set it up manually Im not sure why they decided to change the name of the index page

Message 5 of 10

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

That is not a modem make and model. It is a web page for something on your network.

 

If it points to your modem, then that is the problem. That is why I asked the questions.

 

You have two routers on your network. Not a good idea.

 

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support


Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 10
coolamundo
Aspirant

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login


@PimpDiggler wrote:

192.168.1.1/BRS_index.htm set it up manually Im not sure why they decided to change the name of the index page


I suspect that's the issue because the app login is trying to access a page that the browser can't reconcile and if I hit back, the index file is referenced.

Message 7 of 10
coolamundo
Aspirant

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login

The modem is the one from Xfinity. Their Arris mocel. Don't have the make.

Message 8 of 10
coolamundo
Aspirant

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login


@michaelkenward wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

That is not a modem make and model. It is a web page for something on your network.

 

If it points to your modem, then that is the problem. That is why I asked the questions.

 

You have two routers on your network. Not a good idea.

 

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support



Just to be clear, when you say I have two routers, you mean the router built into the Xfinity modem and the additional Nighthawk router? If so, that makes sense that the app is redirecting to a login that has some sort of conflict. 

It's just odd that the iOS app worked as advertised and the Android didn't.

In either case, I have it resolved and everything is running for me.

 

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I manage a user community for a software company and am always appreciative of all of the support that our users give our customers.

Message 9 of 10

Re: Android App Bug???: Can't set up Nighthawk AX8 AX5700 router because app doesn't let me login


@coolamundo wrote:

The modem is the one from Xfinity. Their Arris mocel. Don't have the make.


Probably Arris.

 

Does it do wifi? How many Ethernet ports on the back?

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 903 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E