× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone upgraded from r7000 to the new AX routers?

Anyone upgraded from r7000 to the new AX routers?

I have r7000 router and it is working fine but was wondering if it is time to upgrade since this model was released in 2013 I believe. Any one upgraded from that to the newer AX models? Do you see any real world use difference?

That last thing I want to do is to pay $400 and see nothing different. note my ISP speeds are 50Mbps down so I won't benefit from any extra 100sMbps extra.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Anyone upgraded from r7000 to the new AX routers?

@Appleuser2000 wrote:

I just thought I upgrade to something more capable to get better coverage, have less buffer, and can control more devices relaxed, and also handle AX clients as they become available.

You'd probably get all that with an Orbi system, without the hassles of the AX technology that is probably pointless in your circumstances.

AX clients are probably a waste of space with your Internet service. You might get better local speeds, but creating a wired network would probably be a better way of achieving that.

Less buffer is probably an Internet speed thing. Not much you can do about that.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

Do you have wifi client devices that would benefit from AX wifi?

@Appleuser2000 wrote:

note my ISP speeds are 50Mbps down so I won't benefit from any extra 100sMbps extra.

So, if speed isn't the issue, what are you looking for? Maybe you should check out other features, such as mesh wifi, that would help, and then see if there are other ways to get there.

As you will see from this section, these are early days for this technology with a lot of troubleshooting going on.

Message 2 of 4

thanks for the reply,

I just thought I upgrade to something more capable to get better coverage, have less buffer, and can control more devices relaxed, and also handle AX clients as they become available. But since there are issues and the tech is too new I guess I am better off holding my money.

Message 3 of 4

@Appleuser2000 wrote:

I just thought I upgrade to something more capable to get better coverage, have less buffer, and can control more devices relaxed, and also handle AX clients as they become available.

You'd probably get all that with an Orbi system, without the hassles of the AX technology that is probably pointless in your circumstances.

AX clients are probably a waste of space with your Internet service. You might get better local speeds, but creating a wired network would probably be a better way of achieving that.

Less buffer is probably an Internet speed thing. Not much you can do about that.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7