× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Apple TV and iOS products not staying connected.

vlxiim
Tutor

Apple TV and iOS products not staying connected.

My set up:
RAX120 with 2 EX8000's 

6 Apple TV's, 9 Apple iOS Devices.

5 AV recivers, Smart TV's

8 PC's, 3 Printer's 

6 Amazon echo devices

Ring and security cameras

Dozens of lighting and control systems

The problem:

All iOS and Apple TV devices experience dropouts. It seems that they either lose their Internet connection or disconnect to the RAX120 and need to supply the password that works sometimes. On iPhones Wi-Fi calls will drop off and require a reboot of the router to get Wi-Fi calling or Internet connection restablished. Keep in mind that all other Wi-Fi devices such as computers, echoes and such continue to work just fine. It is only Apple products that are affected. Sometimes when I go into the Wi-Fi settings on the Apple devices I will find that the DHCP supplied IP address and subnet mask are there, but missing DNS and router information.
I've had this problem since firmware .84 moving to .97 to the hotfix .100, .108, .114, .118. I'm using the .108 as is has been less problematic. 

I should also explain that I have setup two other networks using the RAX120s. They to have exhibited similar problems. I also owns several businesses and vacation homes that run on an airport extreme networks. I experience virtually zero problems. My reason for switching over to Netgear solutions is that Apple does not support the routers any longer and I was looking for the increased range and speed that the Netgear router's provide. I have quite a investment now and Netgear equipment and I'm hoping there's a solution on the horizon. Having to continually reset the equipment is not acceptable.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. The symptoms you see could be down to this. We won't know without more details.

Message 2 of 13
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Hi 

your setup is the same as mine apart from I have one extender setup in access point.

I'm guessing you have updated your firmware at some point and I would suggest you do a reset of the router. Use the pin hole method at the back and reset. Setup as new, do not use a saved config and also Apple devices due to the way they work can go belly up with access control so don't have them controlled with that but it sounds like it could just do with a reset.

dont reset via the software, it must be with the pin hole method.

if you still have issues, try reinstalling the up to date firmware over the top and reset once updated. 

Message 3 of 13
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Just to add as you have setup 2 other networks and they too suffer there must be something unique that you are doing that is creating an issue. 

Message 4 of 13
vlxiim
Tutor

I don't have the part # but it is just a modem. It does not do DHCP severing. As I said This has been running on an Apple Air Port network for years with no problems.

Message 5 of 13
vlxiim
Tutor

I don't think so as one of the setups is mostly PCs and androids and work great. Until you introduce an Apple product like an iPhone or iPad and then those devices will end up having problems staying on the network.

The third one is just an RAX 120 with no extenders 2 iMac's, 5 Apple TVs, 3 iPhones and 3 iPads with a no-frills wizard set up on the router and it drops Apple products every few days.

Message 6 of 13
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I've yet to have any drops on my Apple stuff on the 120 no matter what I try with the settings.

the one time I had an issue was was after a firmware update and I never did a reset. The issue was the 2.4 channel would drop if I unticked coexistence and ran 40ht. 
I watched the channel drop on several WiFi scanners.

along with that I noticed access control was not working.

once I reset them via the pin hole at the rear the router performed as it should so there was corruption which created the issue.

Have you checked through the log file on the rax120 to see if anything is showing?

you can set them up to send you an email at whatever time scale you prefer. 

Message 7 of 13
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have a iPhone 11 Pro AX a 3rd Gen iPad 12.9" and a 2017 iMac 27"  all have never had connection issues , running in AX mode with OFDMA and MU-MImo on, using 1.0.1.118 started life on 1.0.0.84 but have factory reset inbetween each update, coinsidering the updates added like OFDMA and Tx beamforming the consensus with most netegar routers let bleeding edge devices is to factory reset when after each update and do not use a config from previous firmware. A factory reset via the pinhole updating to 1.0.1.118 before hand should sort your issues out.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 13
Clibert
Star

I was having issues with a cm1000 which is not a router just a modem and a Netgear one at that. Sounds like the issues I was having
Message 9 of 13

@Clibert wrote:
I was having issues with a cm1000 which is not a router just a modem and a Netgear one at that. Sounds like the issues I was having

Unlikely.

An Apple TV, or any other device, cannot connect to an CM1000 unless it is wired to the LAN port. That would rule out using the modem for anything else.

I see  no sign in the manual that the CM1000 can act as a router.

Message 10 of 13
Google
Initiate

I have the same problem since I switch from Apple to Netgear, started from day 1. I purchased 2 CM1200 modem and 2 AX12 router from amazon May 2019, I had netgear tech look into it 3 times but still the same problem while it was in the 30 day return policy with amazon, I regrect not retunring them back in 2019. I am still waiting for netgear to fix the problems via a software updates but no luck. Currently App Version 2.4.23.1 Firmware Version V1.0.1.118 I decided to rent the Xfinity XB6 for $15 this month and all the apple product - Apple TV 4k, Apple XS Max, Apple Macbook Pro, Apple Ipad Pro - problem went away, so I know is from the Netgear set up. I reset the modem and router many times from the back pin, also set up as complete new unit, Xfinity/activation. I have a 600 mbps and wired to the modem I get 596mbps. eveyrthing else is ok 1-Xbox X, 3-Nintendo switch, 1 Brother printer, 2 Dyson PH02. 

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 13
vlxiim
Tutor

RAX 120 still droping. I did the full reset on the rear of the router. Updated to 122 and still not working . I did the reset and kept it mostly at the defaults. On the Apple TV it'll come up, no network connection detected. If you go into the Apple TV settings it will show that the IP address is there but the subnet and DNS fields are all blank. Forgetting the network and reconnecting to the network solves the problem until it happens a day or two later.

Message 12 of 13
Ar3
Tutor
Tutor

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I have something almost exactly the same:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-Internet-drops-on-iPhone/m-...

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7