× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ax120 Multi-Gig Port Only Getting Gb connection

Tspurgeo17
Aspirant

Ax120 Multi-Gig Port Only Getting Gb connection

Just got an upgrade to multi-gig internet today. Plugged my PC in expecting to end up with 5Gb connection speeds, but ended up with Gb speeds still. Have a ASUS Maximus Formula XI 1151 board and Cat 7 cables. What am I doing wrong here?
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
avtella
Prodigy

Re: Ax120 Multi-Gig Port Only Getting Gb connection

It’s could be an issue with the Aquantia Ethernet on the motherboard maybe needs a driver or bios update. First though make sure you haven’t accidentally connected to the Intel I350 Ethernet port which is only gigabit. Secondly try a different cable just in case.

I’ve used the RAX120 with my Netgear SX10 switch and currently I use the RAX120 as an AP for my pFsense router which has an Intel X710 adapter and it has connected at a 5 GBPs link rate with both.

FYI you definitely don’t need Cat 7 even for the higher 10Gbps, links Cat6 or Cat 6A would suffice, for 5Gbps though even Cat 5e would work fine unless you have have some very long runs.
Message 2 of 5
avtella
Prodigy

Definitely try a different cable first as Cat7 isn’t even IEEE & EIA standard unlike 5e/6/6A and some adapters do have issues with it. 6
Message 3 of 5
Tspurgeo17
Aspirant

So I definitely had the cables in the wrong spot... Feel real stupid there but I adjusted them and it’s still only giving me 1Gb. I did the old direct to the modem technique and I got about 3Gbs which I’m assuming means I can count out the mobo/networking software/controller out and puts all the blame on the ax120. I’ll get some new cords too but I think the direct to modem with the cat 7 proves it’s at least capable of 3Gb.
Message 4 of 5

New internet = new network.

The AX120 may have picked up some bad habits. Do a factory reset, set up the router afresh and see if that helps.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7