× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad bufferbloat with RAX120

dmystic1
Apprentice

Bad bufferbloat with RAX120

Im getting a D rating of bufferbloat during the Upload with the RAX120.  Is this solved with a gaming specific router only?

Message 1 of 12
microchip8
Master

No it's not. I use an R7800 and get a solid A and A+ on bufferbloat. In the past I had always D. Then was forced to changed modem (due to  internet subscription upgrade) and now get A/A+ on the tests. Bufferbloat can be caused by many things, not just the router used

Message 2 of 12
dmystic1
Apprentice

@microchip8 wrote:

No it's not. I use an R7800 and get a solid A and A+ on bufferbloat. In the past I had always D. Then was forced to changed modem (due to  internet subscription upgrade) and now get A/A+ on the tests. Bufferbloat can be caused by many things, not just the router used

When I had cable internet I could change the modem, now with fiber that is not an option.

Message 3 of 12

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 4 of 12
dmystic1
Apprentice

1.0.0.64 there is no newer firmware and there is no modem, Im on fiber and the modem is a Optical Network Terminal. 

Message 5 of 12

@dmystic1 wrote:

...and the modem is a Optical Network Terminal. 

Good, that rules out one of the common causes of problems.

It also means that you have lost me. I should be so lucky as to have an ONT.

Do you see any symptoms of this bufferbloat? Or is it just a number you saw in the logs?

I ask because it can be easier to deal with symptoms than to get worked up over arcane measurements.

Message 6 of 12
dmystic1
Apprentice

It's just from reports on dslreports.com . 

Message 7 of 12

OK. So no obvious symptoms that anyone can help you to fix.

Message 8 of 12
dmystic1
Apprentice

My post was more so for Netgear as not too many have this router at this time, because it is only available thru the Premier Beta Program.  If this is a beta it's not clear if we are beta testing or if it is a equipment lease program that is in beta.  lol Anyway, I signed up for it and there is no separate forum for it.

Message 9 of 12
duckware
Prodigy

You only truly have a bufferbloat problem if you notice it impacting something that you are doing.  Is everything is working OK for you, don't worry about it.

Bufferbloat if buffering at 'choke points' (a fat pipe to a small pipe).  For example, you are on a VoIP call, and then someone starts a huge Internet download.  All of a sudden, buffering occurs within your Internet provider (unless there is software in place to correct this), VoIP packets get seriously delayed, and the VoIP call gets very choppy:

cmts-rtt-chart

Same thing on the upload path.  Your LAN is the 'big pipe' and (since you said bufferbloat was detected) somewhere between you and the internet is a 'smaller' pipe.  If you control that spot (like a switch that is not fast enough), upgrade your problem equipment (faster, so no longer the choke point).  But if that choke point is past you (your provider), there is not a lot to do (ask them to fix the problem).

Message 10 of 12
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

How I fixed my buffering was I bought something called IQ Router and set it up as instructed.  Their customer support has been outstanding.  I had a gigabit subscription.  I was told by IQ Router support than reducing my internet subscription to around 300-250 mbps with their router would improve performance tremendously.  My overall internet grade was a B prior to buying IQ Router.  Made the change from Gig to up to 400 mbps package installed IQ router and my score went to A+ and no buffering since.  I also have Orbi mesh and Netgear AX6 Router connected to the IQ Router and they are running flawlessly.  You can keep your Netgear Router on the network as long as the IQ Router is the first router in the network.  You can learn more at evenroute.com.  Amazon sells the router.  I was really tired of the buffering when using iptv so I was almost willing to try anything but this set up is working great! Hope that helps.

Message 11 of 12
duckware
Prodigy

Download bufferbloat should (already) be fixed by your broadband provider.  If not, complain to them.  Upload bufferbloat can be fixed by using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7