× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ? Best Setup ? Modem CM1200, Router RAX200, 2 GS308 Switches, 1 RN214 NAS

joe_wht
Luminary

? Best Setup ? Modem CM1200, Router RAX200, 2 GS308 Switches, 1 RN214 NAS

I'm looking for the BEST Setup, Wired (see pic), Would aggregation help any?

Modem: Netgear Nighthawk CM1200, Router Nighthawk RAX200, 2 Switches Netgear GS308, Netgear RN214 NAS.

Office Desktop & Livingroom Laptop & NAS are Ethernet connected.

ALL..  ~ ALL ~ modem, router, & switches Are Netgear.  and Nighthawk Modem & Router.

In the next 6 weeks my Electric company will be providing 1gig Fiber ISP $60/mth.

I'll be dropping my cable company 200mb ISP $125/mth.

I always Hard Wire EVERYTHING that I can so the only Router WIFI

is allocated to my 1-iphone, 2 ipads, & 12 Nest Google Cams.

I went ahead and upgraded my modem from CM600 to CM1200. 
The modem specs are interesting. One main statement says 1gig

but then it says 2gig (aggregation)<Why does it state 2gig?>

I Know.. "bandwidth" has a TON of higher speed spikes which 

Netgear Nighthawk captured many years ago.

MY Thinking is is there a benifit

from using the 2nd port to my Office& Bedroom switch?

OR should I keep my office switch going to my Router so it can be seen in my network?

---- IF my ISP upgrades the speed over 1gig WILL Aggregation HELP ?

My Modem states 1 gig.. but then offers the first 2 switches for Aggregation.

IS there / Would there be a benefit to Aggregate Modem>Router, then use

the 2 RAX200 ports for the 2 Switches ONLY..

---  offshoot the Office Switch1 for my office & Master BR

.... and Switch 2 for my remaining devices ??

I'm just wanting to capture the fastest speeds between my modem, router, & switches.

OH.. I'd love any advice on speeding up my Netgear NAS RN214 access.   I mainly

use my Living room MacBook Pro Laptop & NAS, both connected to the router.

I have active on the NAS settings: SMB, AFP, FTP, HTTP, DLNA.

I access my files through Mac Findger NAS IP address(SMB) instead of

"admin" nor AFP.  

Years back before SMB settings was removed a Netgear tech changed my settings to

make it blazing fast to access and open my files.

I can still type out and use SMB, which I saved to my Finger NAS folder lists.

but opening files just doesn't seem to be as fast as it was years back.

Anyway.. Looking for the BEST Setup that offers Fastest Speeds.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Joe

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.10.55 PM.png

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can enable LAG between the CM modem and RAX200 router, then connect switches to the other open port on the RAX200 router would be recommended. 

If your ISP only provides up to 1Gb, then you'll only see 1Gb across the LAG configuration at any time. Some ISPs have 1.4Gb so in this case you could see that over wireless if LAG is configured. Wired would not see this since all ports are 1Gb connection rates, even in LAG except for the multi gig 2.5Gb port then you might see 1.4Gb on this port, which would work best with a CM2000 modem. We've yet to see ISPs offering 2.5Gb yet. 

Message 2 of 6
joe_wht
Luminary

Thanks for that!

Questions, ( sorry if they sound stupid )

I want the NAS, laptop & printer to have the fastest network communication. Office Desktop 2nd fastest.  Then the 12+ entertainment devices last.

Will moving the NAS & Printer from the router to the switch have trouble being found?

Regarding the Modem CM1200. Right now only 1 port is used for the Router.

If / could I plug 3 rarely used devices in the unused ports and would it FREE UP speed on the router & switches or would it decrease speeds on the router & switches?

So, right now I'm planning to use LAG and use Router port 1&2 for Switches, port 3&4 for Laptop & NAS.  Printer & Desktop + others going into the switches.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@joe_wht wrote:

Thanks for that!

Questions, ( sorry if they sound stupid )

I want the NAS, laptop & printer to have the fastest network communication. Office Desktop 2nd fastest.  Then the 12+ entertainment devices last.

Will moving the NAS & Printer from the router to the switch have trouble being found? NO. 

Regarding the Modem CM1200. Right now only 1 port is used for the Router.

If / could I plug 3 rarely used devices in the unused ports and would it FREE UP speed on the router & switches or would it decrease speeds on the router & switches? No, You can't use the other ports on the modem. Only 1 port can be used that's allowed for most home use by ISPs. If you enable LAG then you have to connect the router to ports 1 and 2 between the modem and router. 

So, right now I'm planning to use LAG and use Router port 1&2 for Switches, port 3&4 for Laptop & NAS.  Printer & Desktop + others going into the switches.

Message 4 of 6
joe_wht
Luminary

I keep running into problems with my old printer.

I can get both LAG & internet port ag working with my printer plugged into a switch but the computers can not find my printer.  I tested / tried plugging the pritner into  the empty 2.5/1gig port 5 and port2.. both kills the internet.

The printers wifi connection just isn't stable. Many times I searched for a replacement but none can do ALL that my old HP 8740 can do. HP even makes 9000+ series with LESS Function & Triple the price.

-- I wonder would NEWER switches all my printer to be found? (over my unmanaged GS308 switches)

netgear-nighthawk-rax200-gigabit.jpg

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

That would not be the router or switch proble. You need to setup a IP address reservation for the printer on the router, then manually install the printer on each PC for a new printer and point Windows to the IP address reservation you set on the router. The point to the driver that needs to be used for that printer.

Or, Set a static IP address ON the printer itself that's outside of the routers IP address pool size. I change mine to .100 to .200. This lease room for static IP addressed assigned devices to be used outside of the default IP address pool. I have 3 printers here and all use static IP addresses. 2 are HP. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7