× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge RAX120 with Google WiFi

wifi-google
Tutor

Bridge RAX120 with Google WiFi

Hi

I have recently purchased the RAX120 hoping to improve the file transfer speeds over wifi. The setup I used before was Google WiFi with 4 points which gives great coverage to all the rooms but slow file transfers over wifi.

My problem is:
I installed RAX120 and it gives significantly BETTER wifi speeds to the devices that connected to it! But, it doesn't give coverage to all the rooms in the house. So, I must continue and use Google WiFi to get the full coverage.

I am using the Netgear RAX120 as main router and I connected one of its lan ports to the primary Google WiFi's WAN port.

The problem is that I have shared folders on my NAS server and PC (which both connected to the Netgear RAX120 ) and now with this setup - the devices that connected to the Google WiFi cannot access those shared folders...

Same with the network printer - it is connected to the Netgear RAX120 and the devcies that connected to the Google WiFi cannot see the printer.  

Can anyonce propose a solution that will enable the devices that connected ot the Googe WiFi "see" the printer and the shared folders that connected to the Netgear?

Will be thankful for your help !

Moshe

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Bridge RAX120 with Google WiFi

Problem is that googles mesh system doesn't have an access point mode/bridge mode when using more than 1 mesh device. 

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

you could go:

modem------google mesh ------mesh satellites

|

|

RAX120 (access point mode)

That'd let the google run as primary router and still give you the option of the RAX120's wireless 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Problem is that googles mesh system doesn't have an access point mode/bridge mode when using more than 1 mesh device. 

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

you could go:

modem------google mesh ------mesh satellites

|

|

RAX120 (access point mode)

That'd let the google run as primary router and still give you the option of the RAX120's wireless 

Message 2 of 6
wifi-google
Tutor

Thanks a lot for the great idea ! 

One question about the cabling: how the RAX120 will get the inetrnet from the Google Wifi? through the WAN port of through one of the LAN ports?

Another question - do you think the overall performance will be decreased due to using the Google WiFi as main router (I am so happy with the RAX 120 and really afraid to lose the power of the Netgear...)

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Usually plug the modem into wan port on google router. Then on the google router connect its lan port to the wan port on the netgear. 

The wireless channels can create interference with each other so make sure place them on channels far enough apart that they don't interfere. 

Message 4 of 6
wifi-google
Tutor

Thank you @plemans ! 

I tried this setup and it works really perfectly ! Didn't observe any affect on the performance comapring when worked with the Netgrear RAX120 as router (at least from the lasy 1 hour tests).

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad it works for you how you'd like it!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7