× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300V2 MODEM WON'T AUTO CONNECT TO INTERNET AFTER POWER FAILURE

maddogx
Aspirant

C6300V2 MODEM WON'T AUTO CONNECT TO INTERNET AFTER POWER FAILURE

I have had 2 power failures and each time the router restarts but the modem won't reconnect until I have disconnected then reconnected the cable to modem.  Never had this peoblem with any other router/modem.  first I was out of town and network down for 4 days til I got back.  router was working but no internet

C6300 v2 with latest firmware 1.03.06

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
maddogx
Aspirant

Re: C6300V2 MODEM WON'T AUTO CONNECT TO INTERNET AFTER POWER FAILURE

I own the nighthawk modem/router so .... my latest troubleshooting reset the device, then restored my old settings.  device rebooted fine.  fortuitously a tstorm passed by and briefly lost power... may have fried the surge suppressor but the modem started back up

So maybe i just needed a reset.  on the other hand, that leads to poor reliability if i am not at home to reset. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
slackrl
Luminary

If possible call your ISP and have them run a test against your modem.

Could be  power outage affected your modem.

Do you use surge protectors on your modem and router?

slackrl

Message 2 of 9
maddogx
Aspirant

I use a power strip that claims to have protection.  All other gear is fine.  Does your modem auto reboot and reconnect to internet after disconnecting the power cable?

Message 3 of 9
maddogx
Aspirant

@maddogx wrote:

I use a power strip that claims to have protection.  All other gear is fine.  Does your modem auto reboot and reconnect to internet after disconnecting the power cable?

Have tested again... cycle the power using the on/off switch... system reboots, wifi turns on, no internet connection.  Nighthawk says check rf connection.  wait awhile then use the nighthawk connection (192.168.0.1) to renew the ip connection and the internet is restored.   So if the power goes out I need to either reconnect the rf cable or reset the ip connection.  both are manual actions so I have to be home or it's out for days.  Is this normal?

Message 4 of 9
slackrl
Luminary

Yes

After a power fail

My Internet modem will auto reboot and the Router will auto connect once it see the modem is ready this is normal.

With iniitial setup you would want both modem and and router off.

Modem on 1st  wait for full connection.

Router on 2nd then router will be connected to internet.

Then after that powering up together after power failure systems should come back online.

How long is power out?

This is temp workaround...Understood this does not fix your problem.

You could use a UPS and just plug your modem and router into that, just those two devices should not draw a lot of power they coould in theory keep the modem and router alive.

Whcih is great in a power outage you would still have power and mobile Internet useage in your home depending of the UPS up to  30min - 2Hrs. Or your systems stay up waiting for power to be restored to the rest of your house.

Are you able test your modem with your ISP?

This should not be a problem especially if you are renting the modem from them.

If you own the modem they may still test it with you.

slackrl

Message 5 of 9
maddogx
Aspirant

@slackrl wrote:

Yes

After a power fail

My Internet modem will auto reboot and the Router will auto connect once it see the modem is ready this is normal.

With iniitial setup you would want both modem and and router off.

Modem on 1st  wait for full connection.

Router on 2nd then router will be connected to internet.

Then after that powering up together after power failure systems should come back online.

How long is power out?

This is temp workaround...Understood this does not fix your problem.

You could use a UPS and just plug your modem and router into that, just those two devices should not draw a lot of power they coould in theory keep the modem and router alive.

Whcih is great in a power outage you would still have power and mobile Internet useage in your home depending of the UPS up to  30min - 2Hrs. Or your systems stay up waiting for power to be restored to the rest of your house.

Are you able test your modem with your ISP?

This should not be a problem especially if you are renting the modem from them.

If you own the modem they may still test it with you.

slackrl

This is a combined cable/modem router so there is only one unit to turn on.  The isp would only send a reboot command.  then if that doesn't work reconnect the rf cable then power on/off everything else... pretty useless.  So if you have separate router and modem you didn't answer my question.

Message 6 of 9
slackrl
Luminary

Pardon  

Did not see this part...

"This is a combined cable/modem router so there is only one unit to turn on.  The isp would only send a reboot command.  then if that doesn't work reconnect the rf cable then power on/off everything else... pretty useless.  So if you have separate router and modem you didn't answer my question."

Maybe you could request your ISP to provider to take back the Modem/Router combo and rent you a modem only, Unless of course you use their modem and your router as an ap/extender.

slackrl

Message 7 of 9
slackrl
Luminary

This could decrease your monthly internet bill

approx $10-$15 dollars a month.

slackrl

Message 8 of 9
maddogx
Aspirant

I own the nighthawk modem/router so .... my latest troubleshooting reset the device, then restored my old settings.  device rebooted fine.  fortuitously a tstorm passed by and briefly lost power... may have fried the surge suppressor but the modem started back up

So maybe i just needed a reset.  on the other hand, that leads to poor reliability if i am not at home to reset. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7